A Hybrid problem?

Due mainly to the recent discourses on this ng and the "toyota.camry" ng about the failures of starter motors (about which I know a little, having had to replace our starter in a nine year old Camry) I wonder how much trouble there is (or will be) with Priuses which supposedly stop the gas engine at stoplights and restart the engine when the green light appears. If you're going to have to restart the engine a dozen times for every run downtown, whenever you get a stoplight, plus all the times you'd normally start the car when stopped for a shopping errand, one would think the starter motor would get such a workout that it might only last a couple of years at best.

Comments?

Reply to
mack

The Prius actually does start and stop the petrol engine, a lot. FWIW, this doesn't necessarily happen at traffic lights but in a range of situations -- basically, whenever the controller thinks enough extra work needs to be done and/or when the big battery's in need of an urgent charge. This happens so smoothly that (one supposes) the jolts the system receives are so minor that little damage is done.

There's an eight-year warranty on the hydrid parts of the system if that's any guide to Toyota's confidence (and experiences).

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

it doesn't use a starter motor, the big 50kw motor starts the engine when needed.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

It's very reliable. Haven't had a single problem starting in frigid weather. I take it back... Once the car wouldn't start but it had something to do with the computer. My only compliant about the car is the outside rear view mirrors frost up. I have a 2003.

Reply to
mark digital©