Changed Starter, still having the SAME PROBLEMS, WHAT GIVES??

i have a 94 toyota camrey xle 6. I began having starting problems earlier in the week. Turn the ignition, wouldn't start, wait, eventually it would kick over. Anyway, a mechanic told me, since my battery was good, my intermittent starting problems were to a failing starter. I.e., when the starter would get hot, couldn't start the engine, let it cool, then it would start. Put in a rebuilt starter from autozone yesterday. No problems till this afternoon, drove it, parked, wouldn't turn over. Let it rest or cool off, I guess, then it started. SO WHAT'S MY PROBLEM, I HAVE A ESSENTIALLY A NEW STARTER, BUT SAME PROBLEMS ARE THERE, INTERMITTENT STARTING????

THANKS,

LARRY VON

Reply to
Larry Von ND

Bad switch, loose connection, bad relay?

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I made the mistake of replacing the starter. The problem is probably a bad starter relay...but IS THERE ANY WAY TO DETERMINE A BAD STARTER OTHER THAN REPLACING IT?

Reply to
Larry Von ND

While it's moot at this point since you've already replaced it, test a starter by applying 12 volts directly to the terminals. It's just an electric motor after all.

Had you brought the old one with you to Auto Zone, they probably would have tested before selling you a new one;-)

Oh, and if you extend this thread, the convention is not to top-post...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

My 89 Corolla did that in lightly moist weather for years before we finally found the corroded connection between the negative battery cable and the transmission box. Fixed that and the problem never occured again. Clean (file) ALL battery connections, + and - , both ends.

-asbjørn

Reply to
Asbjorn