Check engine light - 1988 Toyota Supra

I have a 1988 Toyota Supra. My check engine light is on. I checked the codes and the code is 51. What do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks

Chuck

Reply to
chuck

You need to find out what trouble code 51 means. I think code 51 means a problem with a switch control circuit. Switches include the throttle position switch (TPS), AC switch, AC amplifier, neutral start switch, or ECU.

If trouble code 51 does relate to switches, it should not be too difficult to check the switches and related circuits with a volt/ohm meter. With the meter set to check continuity, with the switch unplugged, check for continuity when the switch is closed and open when the switch is open. If the switches are all good, check for damage to the wiring between the switch and the ECU.

Reply to
Ray O

Google Toyota Trouble codes. That will get you the 5-1 code.

Ray is, of course...correct, as usual...

51 SWITCH SIGNALS

IDL (tps) CONTACTS OFF, NEUTRAL START SWITCH OFF, A/C SWITCH "ON" SIGNAL TO ECU

WITH DIAGNOSTIC CHECK CONNECTOR SHORTED

--A/C SWITCH/CIRCUIT

--A/C AMPLIFIER

--TPS/CIRCUIT

--NEUTRAL START SWITCH/CIRCUIT

--ECU

Easiest check? Turn on your A/C. If the light on the switch starts flashing, you have a problem with the A/C, which is common. Is it an AT? Or, does it start in any gear (Um, testing this is dangerous if you don't have a meter and do it by turning the key...do it in an empty parking lot!)

Worst case is your ECU...they're expensive...

good luck...

Reply to
Hachiroku