Manual locks to keyless entry conversion

I have a 96 Tacoma with manual locks and windows. I want to convert it to power locks. I would also like to add an alarm system. Are most products compatible? Will actuators from one company work with modules from other companies? Should I try to get everything from the same company? I'm new to power lock and alarm installation. I've done quite a few car stereo installations with multiple amp and crossover configurations so I'm pretty sure that I could figure out the wiring and installation. Am I wrong? Should I let someone else do it?

What are your opinions?

Thanks, Dante

Reply to
Dante

Assuming you are talking about aftermarket power window and lock conversion kits, I would search for one that lists which vehicles they will fit rather than a "universal" one because I would think that a universal one can involve a lot of cutting and fabricating. If you know the difference between positive and negative and can use a volt meter, I would not expect the installation to be technically difficult.

Reply to
Ray O

Shop around. All alarm companies offer add-ins, such as lock actuators, etc that will allow you do change the vehicle as desired. Even the cheapest Audiovox ($49-65, depending) has 'options' for power lock actuators, etc.

Reply to
Hachiroku