metric Woodruff keys

Can anyone tell me a source for 5mm woodruff keys?

I cannot seem to find any. I am rebuilding an engine and I need this part...

Reply to
Nza

Have you tried a dealer for the brand engine you are rebuilding?

A reputable engine rebuilder should be able to machine one for you.

Reply to
Ray O

Try the dealer, most have a selection they use in the shop.

You can always buy something close and by using a fine abrasive cloth, cut them down so they fit tight. Just use a flat surface to place the cloth on. They are relatively soft and cut easily.

This is done at times for twin cam V-8 engines. Some have to be custom cut offset using a file to get the timing perfect.

Reply to
user

Okay, I was thinking that's what I was ultimately going to have to do. I didn't know if it was "acceptable" to file the keys down myself and use them like that.. I already bought an oversized key to attempt it. The engine isn't an interference type, anyhow.

As for the dealer, I called them and they didn't have a listing for a part and told me to call Napa... LOL

Reply to
Nza

Just a follow-up...

I took your advice and cut down the larger key to fit. I daresay it is tighter than the original woodruff key which I lost!

Thanks so much! This project has been delayed several weeks because of the missing key.. now I can put my mom's car back together! woohoo!

Reply to
Nza

You're welcome, good luck on the rest of the project.

Reply to
user