my firs gear slips!!

helo i am wondering if ther is a way to adjust the meshing of the gears in an 84 toyota 22r 5 speed 4x4? the rason being that all of a suden, when i try to start off in my 20 year old truck, it pops out of gear. and with quite a bang to! it could be stript but i dont know much about the topic.

what do you guys think it is and how do i fix it??

Reply to
porter_pody_69

Gears are always meshed, so no, unless there's slop in the shift linkage/cables, such that its not fully selecting 1st.

Won't be stripped either: you'd hear it if it was, and the truck wouldn't move. More likely its time to rebuild the trans with new bearings and synchro cones/hubs as needed.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

to get the truck to start off i have to hold the shifter forward in to first. but it still some times pushes my hand back and grinds. i try not to let it do this but some tmes there is no stoping it!

Reply to
porter_pody_69

There are 2 possible causes: 1) the bushings for the shifter are worn (this is not difficult to repair if you can get parts) or 2) the crankcase thrust washers have fallen out. With the engine stopped, grab the lower crankshaft pulley and see if there is fore-aft play. The fix for this is a new engine.

Reply to
Ray O

it couldent be the crank shaft or any thing to do with the engine becaus it is only in firs gear that it hapens. all the others wok fine.

Reply to
porter_pody_69

porter_pody snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com:

They "wok" fine, huh? I used to like to "wok" my dog, but then PETA got on my case, so I had to stop.

Leaving aside your terrible English (is it your native language?), you most probably have one of three issues:

1) worn dog teeth, and/or 2) low fluid level, and/or 3) worn engine mounts.

If your diagnostics skills are as poor as your writing, perhaps you should visit your local Toyota dealer and have them sort the matter out.

Reply to
Tegger

sory about the spelling and gramer. but english is my native langage, i an dislexic so my writing is bad. i acualy do a lot of wor on cars but i have never mesed with any trenys.

Reply to
porter_pody_69

porter_pody snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Hoooo-kay...

I'm gone. No more goodies from me.

Reply to
Tegger

to get the truck to start off i have to hold the shifter forward in to first. but it still some times pushes my hand back and grinds. i try not to let it do this but some tmes there is no stoping it!

Reply to
porter_pody_69

If you do not like my hints, then follow TeGGeR's.

Reply to
Ray O

Take it to the shop.

Reply to