(OT:) HEY! Let's have two legal systems!!

What about the languages that were spoken before Europeans invaded America? Should we preserve them?

Puerto Rico is part of the US.

What about all the business that American companies do overseas in countries that do not speak English? People passing down their rich cultural heritage, including languages other than English, is something that benefits everyone.

I am proud of my cultural heritage, even if I am not proud of some things that both the country in which I live and the country from which most of my ancestors came.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

What about those who come here with needed skills or abilities that are in short supply, like software engineers or scientific skills, medical skills or the willingness to pick our fruits and vegetables for less than minimum wage so that they can make a better life for their kids?

Reply to
Jeff

If they were in demand, they'd be employed by corporations, and have no need for public assistance. Pretty obvious.

Reply to
witfal

Not necessarily.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Hmmmm...interesting. An Eskimo woman who was the last of her kind to speak a certain language dies a couple weeks ago, and there is no one left who knows the language. The language died with her.

The problem here being, nobody WANTED to continue the language. If there is no reason to continue a language, why bother using it?

Yup. Sure is. But there are plenty there who don't speak English, usually the poor (or, believe it or not, the "Old Money" rich, who never felt a need to learn it).

That's a slight bit different. Stick with Apples here...

Germany? Me either.

But I don't speak German. I was born American, and I speak English. Just like all who aspire to be Americans should do.

Reply to
Hachiroku

  1. When did I ever say that? Do you recall me ever saying I supported the President? Again, showing you don't pay particular attention to anything.
  2. He's Texan. They're all 'different', anyway.
Reply to
Hachiroku

It was part of the cultural hertitage of the Native Alaskans.

Actually, I am.

And I wish I learned German when I was a kid.

Unfortunately, it was not spoken at home (or my parents' homes).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

OK - you got me there. Honestly. I was making an assumption

That's no excuse.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Actually, their young people speak English about as well as our young people speak whatever language they took in high school. There are exceptions in PR, just as there are exceptions here.

Second generation kids of immigrants usually speak English just fine, so your comment is irrelevant.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Really? Explain.

Reply to
witfal

Don't even get me started.

Reply to
witfal

Yes, within the 24 form.

Reply to
witfal

Not all skills are in demand only by corporations.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If I were you, I'd pretend my computer was out of order before delving any further into this subject. I'm telling you this for your own good.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Picking nits? I'll explain...and type vvveeerrrryyy slllloooowwwwlllllllyyyyy.

Corporations can also mean small businesses, in the context of this thread. IF such people are in demand, then the jobs are here, right?

IF they're in such demand, they have a job, and have no need of benefits.

Reply to
witfal

Why do you think I stated the last sentence above?

Reply to
witfal

One of my uncles came here in the 1960s, joined the US army so he could fight in Vietnam, and then he went back to his homeland. He's still not an American.

Reply to
Johnny Hageyama

Begging for help? :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

This concept may give Hack a stroke.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Nope. When it comes down to it, I really have earned the right to complain and explain. I choose to not do so at the moment.

Suffice it to say, you haven't lived until you've shared rush hour with a freeway full of incompetent drivers.

Reply to
witfal