(OT:) HEY! Let's have two legal systems!!

My parents said they were treated better here when they spoke German instead of English, probably because they're Japanese, and it's funny to see Asians speak German.

Reply to
Johnny Hageyama

BZZZZT! Wrong!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I'm more insulted that the phone is answered by a machine rather than immediately by a live human being.

Reply to
Johnny Hageyama

What do you mean, if anything?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

So would I, but I hate cabbage.

Reply to
Johnny Hageyama

Here, 99% of incompetent drivers fit one of three primary categories:

1) Asian women who can't see over the steering wheel and look terrified.

2) Very young women of all kinds, tailgating and talking on cell phones.

3) Dead/blind people who belong in nursing homes.
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

With a accent.

Reply to
witfal

On May 1, 2006, there was a nation-wide "boycott" of sorts. Illegals and Company (tm), stayed home to protest immigration policies, etc.

I could NOT have asked for a better traffic day on local freeways and roads. It truly was one for the books.

Reply to
witfal

witfal

I know. When I was in Germany, the people at the Chinese restaurant spoke German. That was just weird.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The majority of Japanese scientific journals are published only in English.

Reply to
Johnny Hageyama

Thank you.

Reply to
Johnny Hageyama

I thought all diplomats knew French because it was the traditional language of diplomacy. My cousin had to know it for that reason.

Reply to
Johnny Hageyama

Since when does slurred speech imply a Texas accent?

Reply to
Johnny Hageyama

Because it may allow us to express certain concepts better (one reason foreign words are adopted) or improve our understand of human thinking.

Reply to
Johnny Hageyama

The slurred speech is most likely due to this:

I'm not sure what explains things like "Is our children learning?", especially coming from someone who theoretically graduated from Yale. The ability to match singular and plural words should be instinctive by age 6 or

7, and shouldn't be easily disrupted even by inebriation.
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I remember looking a Asian-language scientific journal in the Asian language. About half the words were in Asian, but the technical words were English. It looked funny.

That was mostly because of the the predominance of the US in science and engineering. Unfortunately, the spending on science by the us, that is the US gov't, is decreasing. So we're losing our science dominance, at the same time India, China and other Asian countries are increasing their investments in science.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Hmmm...interesting point. Touche.

However, no one, not her kids or anyone else took the time to learn the language from her. In other parts of the world they keep the old language going by telling stories in it. Very good concept.

I actually think it was a shame to let an old language die like that. There was another language that died in the past 5-10 years, an old indian dialect that died with an old indian in California.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Not all. I live in an area where there are lots of PRs that come here every year, and very few of them speak English.

Not always. What happens here is the kids learn Spanish from the parents, and in an effort to get them to study and pass in school, they are taught in Spanish. Doesn't do much good for melding them into American society, does it?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Me either. If you followed my post to Joe, Grandpa stopped speaking German when he came here.

Reply to
Hachiroku