OT I hate being on the other side...

I guess I got spoiled having my own lift, tools, and shop equipment at my disposal for ten years. How do you people take your cars into shops all the time to have work done and not kill someone? Now that I don't have all the toys I need to do all the work I want to my car, I'm occasionally forced to take my car to a shop to have work done. In this case, I haven't gotten around to purchasing my own Hunter four post lift with a laser alignment machine (though I am saving up for one...) So, after putting new wheels, tires, and control arms on my bimmer I was naturally inclined to have it aligned. I called around to a few shops here in the area wanting to know three things:

-What type of machine do you have

-Do you provide before & after specs on a printout

-How much

Here are a few of the answers I got:

"It's a laser type machine, but with strings" "We can't give you a printout, but the guy that does it is really good" "$59.95 to $99.95, depending on what needs to be adjusted"

Jesus. After calling around for a while, I decided I should take some guesswork out of it and just go to the dealer. I called one morning after I got off work, and the dude said come right over, we'll get you out in about an hour. As I'm dropping it off, I asked again that I be provided a printout of measurements. "Of course, of course, Mr. qslim. Now have a seat in our fine leather chairs, have a latte and your car will be around shortly. So after about 2 hours, I find my way into the shop and see the tech just putting my car on the rack. Great. Time for more free coffee. After about three hours total, the service writer came in, said we were all done and my receipt was at the cashier. I asked where my printout was, and he said he would call the tech back up to the front with a copy. The tech showed up, reminded the writer that the printer had been missing for weeks, and he had neglected to save the job in memory. But, they should have a new printer in a few days. I'm a pretty laid back dude, so I just suggested that I come back in a few days when the printer is installed and have my car tossed back up on the lift for a quick reading. "Well, Mr Slim, we would have to charge you again for an alignment." "..."

Anyway, in the end I got it all figured out after finding the service manager. I don't really know what the point of this story is, but damn do I hate taking my car into strange places to have strange people touch it. Find a good tech and cling to him for dear life.

Reply to
qslim

My Toyota goes in for oil changes at the dealer, every 3K miles plus or minus a few.

Reply to
dbu,.

Well, see below.

Bingo.

There's one guy in town that touches my Hondas--a 25 year veteran--and I sit and shoot the shit with him while he does it. There were two guys, but the other guy left when he got a job with American Honda Motor Manufacturing in a technical capacity.

Non-Honda work, there's a local shop a couple blocks away that's been there fore 30 years, under the same owner, and they do superb work. They also do a superb job of taking care of the customer. For a little corner service station that looks like a hole in the wall, they do a great job.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"qslim" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Yeah, heard that one before. But the usual story I get is that the mrinter is "not working, but will be fixed next week...".

Yes, this is the absolute truth.

I'm a driveway grease monkey who occasionally has to give his car to the pro's for some work. I am scared every time that something will go wrong, because too often it does.

And those in the business tend to support their own, having, it seems, no idea what things look like from the outside. Even the dealer is no guarantee of good servicing, or even good customer service.

Mostly what I see is incompetence combined with carelessness and poor service. And in 26 years I have seen a LOT of that. Just this past week in fact, I prevented us from being screwed for $1245 on an incorrect diagnosis of an air conditioning problem. My instincts were better than those of the certified and licensed Toyota dealership technician.

Unfortunately, most (but not all!) of the individuals who gravitate to auto mechanics do not do so because they are blessed with extreme diligence and high intelligence. They became mechanics because they lacked other skills, and figured turning a wrench was easy and paid better than a warehouse job.

Reply to
Tegger

I had an old Bear unit I sold for cheap a few years ago. It had the ramps with the air operated scissor lifts on the rear. I should have kept it for you. You could have set it up in the back yard, and set next to it some fine leather seating and a television.

Reply to
user

Your dealer must love you for coming in every 3000 miles. LOL

mike

.
Reply to
Mike Hunter

This alone can be a good thing. Where I take my car for alignment, the guy is "really good', and he IS! You get the car back and the steering wheel is true, and the car tracks like it's on rails.

When he does my car, I can live without a printout!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Tegger wrote in news:Xns996A55A3077A3tegger@207.14.116.130:

I should qualify that by saying it APPEARS they go into auto mechanics because they're not good at anything else; that's what it LOOKS like to me.

Reply to
Tegger

"qslim" ...

I want such a person near Flemington NJ 08822. Anyone know of one? Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Probably a bit too far for you, but my Air Force son is quite happy with Faulkner Toyota in the north Philadelphia suburbs.

Scott in Florida

Hey Scott, what was it your son does again?

Reply to
qslim

Now you know how I feel! Plus, instead having the service billed to the company, I now have to PAY for stuff when I go to the dealership!

Reply to
Ray O

Why am I not surprised? lol

Reply to
Truckdude

He is loading the big boys.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

He is in Alaska now....just got back from El Centro,CA.

Working out of McGuire....and working 'out of' is the operative word...LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida