{OT} shrinking glaciers

Only human activities huh? Give us a few hints as to how we would fix it.

Reply to
.dbu,

Anything my man Bore says HAS to be right...LOL

You are not letting up on him....

Ooooops the may be him out back...hey it is HIM....he is out chasing chads....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

It should not...

dbu is picking on my main man Al Bore....

He just does not understand how great he is.....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Liars figure, but figures don't lie. Keep it in mind.

Now what shall we do about the global warming if there is such a thing, but lets say there is, and get to the fix.... What are your ideas to fix this global warming??

Reply to
.dbu,

According to some of their logic in other threads maybe mass abortion since there's a *chance* there lives will be screwed up some day by bad weather.

Reply to
badgolferman

Put a cork in Scott's mouth. :-)

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

Bring back stringent CAFE standards. Put an extra tax on gas guzzlers. Encourage people to use more public transportation or carpooling. Encourage businesses to let people work from home or telecommute. Put some teeth in the current laws so that when a business pollutes it actually sees some consequences.

Restricting mining and logging on public lands to US-owned companies might be a good bet too. Along with that, require these companies to restore the habitat that existed before. (It's getting better, but I don't think it's anywhere near perfect in a lot of cases. The best companies do a good job, while the rest do the minimum.)

We could make a real commitment to alternative energy sources. Perhaps give people tax credits for doing things that save energy.

There are lots of other things to do too. I don't think we need new ideas so much as to get serious about the ideas we have already.

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

Where did you get the "only?" You sure do have a funny way of reading things.

I just gave some hints in another post.

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

  1. We sign up to agreements (like Kyoto) to reduce harmful emissions even though these agreements may not be perfect. We do this so we can develop markets for new USA products (see next point).
  2. We provide incentives for companies to develop alternative engergy sources and more efficient engines/processes that will reduce USA dependence on foreign oil and provide the USA with a new industry whose products we can sell overseas. If we use our technological prowess to vastly reduce our dependence on fossil fuel we will bankrupt our enemies in the Middle East.
Reply to
ACAR

No one with even a few brain cells would sign Kyoto.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

And don't roll back the restrictions that were in the previously passed laws!

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

As in Bush's current poll figures?

Right. ;-)

If the global warming is a part of the natural cyclic events of the earth, we can't do a whole lot about that end of the deal. But, humans are contributing to (aggravating) the problem. Even sans global warming, we're doing a great job of messing up the balance of our environment, esp. since the beginning of the industrial age. So, start by promoting alternative fuel sources (re: fossil fuels) - anything from home consumption to industry to cars. [AFAIK the tax breaks on hybrids are vanishing (for Toyotas, at any rate) next year - yep, a great way to promote their sales & use of less gasoline.]

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

That "Toyota Accord" thing just had GWB all confused.

Eaton Corp has a test going on here in Cleveland that looks promising.

I think we also have to try to reduce the distance that people need to travel to go about their daily lives.

I've been hearing a lot lately about this:

Stuart Krivis

Good ideas. Who's going to finance the tax breaks for the hybrids? The hybrids are only an intermediate solution. I would like to see us promote planting of more trees, natural lawns without the use of pesticides, less lawn mowing and leaf blowing. We don't need pretty lawns, just natural settings, it promotes wildlife too. Raise the price of a gallon of gas to say $10, that would get folks thinking.

Reply to
.dbu,

I'm doing my part.

No lawn watering.

NO LEAF BLOWER

No pesticides

I've planted a bunch of green in my yard.

....and I'm not using air conditioning....

My yard looks nicer than my next door neighbor who spends a lot on his yard.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Social engineering. That idea will take a long time unless the dimmies get in and provoke the resettlement of the masses idea like in cambodia. We'll all have to attend brainwashing classes first so that we are all happy the government is doing this for us.

Reply to
.dbu,

If we weren't still bogged down in Iraq, billions would be available...for not only that, but for NCLB funding, & a myriad of other things.

The

True - but they're a good start (incl. the super-low emissions), & unless something is done to negate the $5K price gap between them & a comparable gas engine car...

I would like to see us

Yes, except for the SW, where people want to import the greenery they left behind in the east - & which require a lot of watering (& give rise to the same allergies they had back east!).

For small lawns, a reel push mower.

Aesthetically, in suburban & urban settings, I think they're an asset. But, see above - mechanical mower. Needs no gas, minimal noise pollution, & starts every time. Plus provides exercise.

just natural settings, it promotes wildlife too. Raise the price

Well, yeah... but there are plenty of people for whom that would be crippling - just commuting to their jobs.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

You have so many ifs and buts. It weakens the idea of it all. See, this is the problem with the idealists view of how it should be. There is not a simple solution. It is not a black and white world. There is grey area and it is a very complicated path we tread. More thought must go into it than just do this and do that and the problem is over. Brainstorm some more.

Reply to
.dbu,

I dunno about that. W signs bills all the time he has no intention of implementing, instead issuing a "signing statement" letting him modify the law to his taste. Have you followed Kyoto implementation? About as well as you follow the argument about accelerated rate of climate change, eh? Stop drinking and save the few brain cells you have left. You're gonna need 'em. Or not. You are a ditto head, aren't you?

Reply to
ACAR

Which bills were those he had no intention of implementing?

I followed Kyoto enough to know I don't like it.

We agree then that I have dead brain cells and you have dead brain cell.

You say you are a ditto head? Whatever that means.

Smile and have a nice day.

Cheers

Reply to
.dbu,