OT: Traitor president kicked in balls...again.

Writing for the majority, Justice Anthony Kennedy said, "the laws and Constitution are designed to survive, and remain in force, in extraordinary times. Liberty and security can be reconciled; and in our system reconciled within the framework of the law."

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

One would think these bad guys are either criminals or prisoners of war, (we do call it the Iraqi war, and the war in Afghanistan), but they got thrown in a dark hole by being called enemy combatants. The criminal justice system will take care of them if they are tied fairly and found guilty or call them prisoners of war and try them by the military. Worked just fine after WWII. This one of the freedoms of America and when we change the rules they change for us also.

Reply to
Moe

If you think the Bush administration is going to take this lying down you are mistaken. They already have contingency plans in place for such a ruling and will put them in effect soon. It's a good thing someone in the government is truly looking out for the American people's welfare rather than the terrorist's.

If it wasn't for President Bush and his dedication to defeating Islamic fundamentalist terrorism, a lesser leader with no backbone would have caved in to the constant pressure put forth by the terrorist sympathizers. I guess it's a blessing in disguise that we have such an ineffectual Congressional leadership that can't keep from stumbling all over itself in order to appease America's enemies.

Reply to
badgolferman

You'd better get used to it. That's the new face of war. If they convince slime like George Bush to change the Constitution, they've won.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

A POW is any fighter, regular or irregular, captured by a military force. Don't be brainwashed by convenient legal mumbo-jumbo put out by an administration that loves torture and hates the Geneva Conventions.

Reply to
rantonrave

Article 4 of this document clearly defines who is a POW. The modern terrorist does not fit any category described herein.

Reply to
badgolferman

The Constitution cannot be amended by trying to make it fit definitions in another set of rules. There is only one method available for amending the Constitution.

"You cannot amend the Constitution with persistent evasion."

-Mario Cuomo

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That is not the issue. Stop evading the issue. You're trying to change the issue.

The issue is that there is only ONE WAY to amend the Constitution. It cannot be done by executive order, out of convenience.

In the next few years, you will find out why Bush wanted things done this way, and you will pretend it was OK.

"You cannot amend the Constitution with persistent evasion."

-Mario Cuomo

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Section 2 of Article 4 seems to include them, and treating them otherwise does not help us win the war. Do you know of any instance where mistreating a prisoner helped, except in the field?

Reply to
rantonrave

That statement shows that you are extremely ignorant - in general as well as of what the Geneva Convention articles say.

Bill Putney

Who signed the articles on behalf of the terrorists, are they also bound by them (answer: no), and who do we complain to and who gets held accountable for their violations?

Bill Putney

Those are good questions, but so was his, and you didn't answer it. Here it is again, in case you missed it:

Do you know of any instance where mistreating a prisoner helped win a war, except in the field?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Would you be saying that if you hadn't heard the same logic from certain elected and appointed barnacles?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Well, we would't really know that, would we? If there was any mistreatment going on it wouldn't have been made public by our government.

The prisoners at Guantanamo Bay are not mistreated. They have better living conditions than where they came from and have even more conveniences than 80% of the world. Mistreatment of prisoners is what they did to people like Nick Berg and all the others after him. Let's keep this in perspective.

Reply to
badgolferman

The subject is legal rights, not how much food they get. Do try and stay focused on the issue decided by the Supreme Court.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

How much legal right was Nick Berg afforded? I don't recall seeing a lawyer standing next to him during the video of his beheading.

The detainees in Guantanamo Bay are not representatives of any government and did not identify themselves as such. Save very few of them, they are also not US citizens therefore the Constitution does not apply to them as it would to a citizen in my view and 4 of the 9 Supreme Court justices. As we all know this is just a political game being played against a lame-duck president in order to establish future power grabs.

Reply to
badgolferman

There is only one way to amend the Constitution. You will now disagree because you were busy doodling airplanes in the margins of your notebook during social studies classes.

The Constitution applies to detainees held on U.S. soil. The justices correctly pointed out that Guantanamo has been under our control for 100 years, so it is indeed U.S. soil. If you disagree with this, write to the justices.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

4 out of 9 doesn't count, remember? Or do you have that much contempt for the law?
Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Can't argue that 5 out vote 4. If only that would apply in all other laws also that would be nice. Unfortunately in today's courts the minority rule.

Reply to
badgolferman

Yes, we would, and I'm including a friend of mine who speaks Korean and Vietnamese and who interrogated POWs.

Reply to
rantonrave