top up or down?

i have put my celica away for the winter , but i have kept the top down, so that it won't get that musty smell inside, everyone has told me to put it up because it will hurt the top . (its cloth.) just wanted to know what you all thought thanks

Reply to
itsa93sl1

Store it with the top up so that the fabric will not become permanently creased or moldy. If you are worrying about a musty smell in the interior, roll the windows down.

Reply to
Ray O

Plus put a 60w light bulb inside, commonly done with boats in the winter.

Reply to
who

Switched on or just sitting on the seat? :D

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Keep the top up, and the windows down is the way we collectors store our cars. My oldest convertible is a 1941

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Mike - being a car collector you can probably answer this fairly well...

Car covers. I'm planning on having a paint-job done on my motor soon and want to keep it nice and happy. I was going to buy a car cover as I'll have to keep it on a drive in the open, but then im worried about it being damp in the UK weather and going musty, and also scratches from the wind moving it.

What are your thoughts?

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Switched on as a heat source, and in a shielded holder so it can't contact anything flammable. And leave the windows cracked to let the moisture circulate away.

Myself, I'd get one of those ceramic space heaters, set it on the passenger side floor on a piece of Wonderboard cement backer board or something else 100% non-flammable, and set the thermostat to 60 - 80F. But I'm in a temperate area where you don't have to worry about stored cars too much.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I bought one that retails for $75, it was bing discontinued at AutoZone and got it for $27!!! SCORE!, I thought. Put it on my Supra because it has that nasty roof leak the Sport Roofs develop, and on my next ride after a rainstorm I got a lap full of water!!!

I had had one before that from a local distributor. I paid $35 for it, and it worked well for an entire summer (May until October) but the next summer started leaking early. That's when I bought the $75 one. I promptly went out and bought another $35, and after I put my Supra in the garage, I put it on the Scion to keep the snow off. But, it too is starting to leak (again, June through February).

So, if you're only going to need it for a few months, it should work well. If I can figure out what brand it is, I'll tell you! But, it is quite similar to Tyvek!

What I would do myself would be to get a piece of plastic big enough to cover the car, and then get an inexpensive cover to put over the plastic and hold the plastic in place.

And pinch the cover in the doors to keep it on when it's windy!

Reply to
Hachiroku

How about those plastic shrink-wrap covers that are used to cover RV's and boats?

Reply to
Ray O

Actually found a few fairly cheap ones on fleabay but im still concerned that any dust trapped will rub the paint away :-S. Or the local kids might set fire to it. But it might be preferable to the birds dropping large purple paint-staining bombs on it.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Buy a cover that has it own support system and does not sit directly on the car. Wind blown debris can get under one that sits on the car, which can sand the paint, in much the same way a Bra mars the paint.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Thats a dome tent then, yeah? :D