Toyota, GM, and Ford differences

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I agree. They intentionally pursued the low-cost, mediocre-car strategy, ceding the "best of class" status to cars like the Accord.

Nah...even proper bottom posting won't help this chap much...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Realto Margarino wrote:

Hehe.
Snap!
Razz,
I guess I'm another one of those idiots because I know for a fact that Toyota's don't experience the major problems US cars do. It's the only one I've not had trouble with. I have a friend who owns a transmission business and I've asked him just how many Toyota transmissions he works on. His answer---none, but plenty of Fords, GM's, etc. Facts are Facts and the foreign cars are built better, but then again, I'm just one of those american idiots, but a proud one !!!!
razz wrote:

That may be your opinion but certainly not what we saw in my former fleet service business. We serviced thousands of vehicles monthly in our shops locate in six eastern states. No particular brand stands out from the others in dependability. We serviced nearly every brand of vehicle. Corporate fleets generally keep the vehicles they use, as tools in their business, for five years or 300K WOF because of federal corporate tax deprecation laws. We saw little difference among brands in terms of longevity when the vehicles were given the proper maintenance such as we provided. The only real difference among brands is style and the price of accusation, insurance, maintenance and parts. Any vehicle one buys today, domestic or foreign, well easily last to 200K or more is given decent maintenance. As a consumer who keeps their vehicle till it dies, one should be more concerned about the price of the car and its parts than the need for them, since they all need to be repaired at some point. As to the chance of your friend seeing more of particular brand, is like asking someone in the Bronx Zoo if they see more pigeons or penguins. One must remember GM has five times as many vehicles on the road and Ford four times as many as any other brand. Since Toyota arrived in the US in 1958, the past few years is the only time it has sold more than 1,000,000 vehicles annually, while GM and Ford sold more than half of ALL of the up to 19,000,000 vehicles sold annually in the US over the same period. Even today GM and Ford sell more trucks alone than does Toyota, Lexus, and Scion sells cars and trucks combined today.
mike hunt

Top-posting troll Mike Hunter wrote:

Every consider using paragraphs, "Mike". I for one never read those verbose messes you leave. Of course, I know it's all bullshit anyway, coming from you.

I get a kick out of people who make silly statements like this...almost everyone in the world has their address posted in public, (you never heard of a telephone book?) what fricking difference does it make for Christ's sake?...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)

It's a Work Address and Work Phone, and a private mailbox service at that - but if you send something there, and the Boss doesn't trash it as Spam, I should get it. Hey, someone here might want to hire my services to fix their wiring, it's in my own best interest I give them a way to find me.
As to SSN's or other personal information - Anyone with the proper (or improper) motivation and a bit of available cash can find out just about anything about just about anyone in the world. Presidents, elected officials and public figures included.
There are a lot of public records that have all that vital information on them, as well as a lot of useful stuff floating around on the Information Superhighway. Would you like me to find out who "Mike Hunt" really is? I'm sure if I could be motivated to expended the effort, I could post his SSN, tax returns for the last few years, and high school yearbook picture here.
But in Mike Hunt's case I really don't care.
Take for instance Michael "Fahrenheit 9/11" Moore, who has claimed on more than one occasion that he "doesn't own a single share of stock" - yet with a little digging at the information well they found the schedules from his Tax Returns. And they indicate he's got quite a healthy stock portfolio, with the listings including for at least one year several thousand shares of <Insert "Dun-Dun-Dun!" music sting here> Halliburton.
(Source: "Do As I Say, Not As I Do - Tales of Democratic Hypocrisy")
--<< Bruce >>--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700

<snort>
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)

Or the tranny problems with the Honda Pilot/Acura MDX that cost over $7K to fix....

Nobody is claiming that Hondas and Toyotas are perfect. But they do a good job of making the owners happy with the cars.
One of my co-workers bought the revamped Odyssey in '99. The model with the "problem" transmission that was being blathered about a while back in this NG. At 97K miles, the transmission started to slip. He took it to his Honda dealer to get it looked at. Honda replaced it. No charge. He hasn't had any other problems. He's really happy with it.
Our close friends, around the corner, are moving towards an all-Honda fleet. They've got a Civic that's 13 years old with 200K miles or so and has had NO significant repairs whatsoever. They've bought two other Hondas used and one new. No problems among all 4 cars.
I'm up to three Toyotas, now. Love 'em. No problems at all, so far. The Toyota dealer treats me like visiting royalty if I take a car in for routine maintenance. They're not cheap but they're thorough. I've purchased two cars, one new and one used from the same dealer. Got decent treatment on the first car and a reallly good deal on the second. Maybe they're really into repeat business. I got my third Toyota used in a private sale. That guy bought another Toyota to replace it.
I had an Aerostar for a little over 2 years. It not the most expensive vehicle to purchase that I've ever owned but its lifecycle cost was far and away the worst I've ever dealt with. It was unavailable for use 45 days or more while I owned it. The dealer servcie was almost as bad as the treatment I got from Ford HQ.
Buy a Ford, if you like, Chevy, whatever. We don't care. Just don't go whining about imports in the import groups. We're happy with our cars. Some of us are really happy with our cars because we've had horrible experiences with other makes of car.
[newsgroups trimmed]
Lets face it many buyers believe the brand they buy is the best, and the rest are junk, that is why they buy what they buy and more buyers by GM vehicles than any other. Ford and Chrysler follow and Toyota and Honda are forth and firth. Toyota owners in particular love to disparage other brands for some reason, perhaps they want to justify to themselves why they paid so much more to buy a vehicle that is nor better or worse than the others. LOL
mike hunt

Top-posting troll Mike Hunter wrote:

Almost no one does that, actually. Most settle for the best compromise that they can afford.

Idiot. That's not even close to being true. "Not the best choice for me" does not equal "junk".

You can't build a logical argument on such obviously false premises as you embarrassed yourself with above, cretin.
GM still sells a lot because of their large "old" customer base and their broad range of products.

Says the proven liar.
In my experience, all brands have their fanatics. Toyota owners are certainly no worse than others, especially in this foreign (to Toyota) country.

The facts say otherwise, "Mike", and you get that "so much more" back when you resell. LOL!
Mike Hunter wrote:

Actually GM, Ford, and Chrysler ("Chrysler is American!") owners are more likely to insult Toyotas, calling them "rice burners" and thinking Japan is still a Third World country. This is particularly common in areas where a high percentage of Pontiacs are on blocks in the front yard.
Go into the various NG and you will discover my observation is right on. Toyota owners are always bashing other brands, particularly domestics. You seldom hear that in other NG. I think Toyota owners are trying to justify to themselves why they paid way to much for a vehicle that in reality no better than any other. LOL
mike hunt

Top-posting troll Mike Hunter wrote:

If only you weren't a proven idiot and liar, your words might carry some weight, "Mike".
Perhaps in you small world but not in the real world. Just look at what is cross posted in the GM and Ford NG from the Toyota NG. No questions about Ford or GM products just anti GM and Ford BS from screwballs like you. . ; )
mike hunt

Toyota owners are always bashing other brands, particularly domestics. You seldom hear that in other NG. I think Toyota owners are trying to justify to themselves why they paid way to much for a vehicle that in reality no better than any other. LOL

Mike Hunter wrote:

I have, and you haven't. Maybe you think too much of yourself, just as you think too much of GM.

Do you really LOL that often?
You also can't explain why Toyota owners liked their cars even back when they were cheaper than domestics.