Toyota, GM, and Ford differences

Hi Mike,

The problem is that most of us don't care if a car can go a million miles if you keep on replacing parts. Most of us just want cars that will go 100,000 miles without replacing any parts. That is why the imports are winning.

Reply to
Art

Wow! The /average/ on the fleet is 300 Million Miles, yet some are run up to 1 Million Miles before replacement? I'm going to leave that statement alone right there without any further clarification...

Vg'f abg snve gb orng hc ba gur unaqvpnccrq naq gebyyf. Jul pbzzvg zheqre jura gurl'er nyernql qbvat fhpu n tbbq wbo ng fhvpvqr?

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

So...you're saying you think GM's exec's in Detroit are more likely to read this here, in this NG, than in their own paper? Face it. You're just another dirt bag trying to stir up shit in a GM group.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

OK. Most of us don't have a lot of time for our cars to be in the shop any more. That's why I own a Toyota. Sure I could own a GM, but by the time I had 50,000 miles on my old S-10 it was already nickel-and-diming me on repairs, and seemed to be in the shop as much as it was out.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
Charles

Yeah, like all cross-posters, he's doing a public service ROFLOL.

Reply to
FanJet

But there's a difference between being able to stop the line and being able to stop the line. Companies like Toyota and the old IBM (I don't know about them now) would have infinite tolerance it, but most imply there's a limit to it. With the latter my company tries to fool management with elaborate nonsense that essentially tells them to slow down production.

Ford and GM won't become like Toyota or Honda until most of the executives have worked on the production line.

Reply to
rantonrave

But GM could.

Why? GM has no pride in America or Americans and hasn't created even one new net job in the U.S. in 20-30 years.

Reply to
rantonrave

That's not what internal GM documents from the early 1990s said, the newest ones I know about.

Honda, Toyota, and maybe Subaru have made the overall Japanese quality tally better than Ford's or GM's, while Suzuki, Isuzu, and maybe Nissan have been nothing special.

Reply to
rantonrave

And in 1985, Kmart was much larger than Wal-mart, while today it's 80% smaller.

What reason does GM have to exist? In other words, what can GM do better than anybody else, other than lobby the U.S. government for a bailout? Quality is good but not the best. Costs are high (even excluding health care and pension costs). Hours to produce each vehicle are high. Car designs are bad (but trucks are good). Corporate leadership is poor and clueless.

Reply to
rantonrave

Trucks are shit too. We see 4-year old chevys and GMCs rusted through around here.

Ever see a Canyon up close? Plain, ugly, crude.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

I owned a 95 S-10. It started rusting on the GAS TANK before I'd had it a year. Hinge pin on the driver's door, too.

Charles

Reply to
Charles

Nobody is claiming that Hondas and Toyotas are perfect. But they do a good job of making the owners happy with the cars.

One of my co-workers bought the revamped Odyssey in '99. The model with the "problem" transmission that was being blathered about a while back in this NG. At 97K miles, the transmission started to slip. He took it to his Honda dealer to get it looked at. Honda replaced it. No charge. He hasn't had any other problems. He's really happy with it.

Our close friends, around the corner, are moving towards an all-Honda fleet. They've got a Civic that's 13 years old with 200K miles or so and has had NO significant repairs whatsoever. They've bought two other Hondas used and one new. No problems among all 4 cars.

I'm up to three Toyotas, now. Love 'em. No problems at all, so far. The Toyota dealer treats me like visiting royalty if I take a car in for routine maintenance. They're not cheap but they're thorough. I've purchased two cars, one new and one used from the same dealer. Got decent treatment on the first car and a reallly good deal on the second. Maybe they're really into repeat business. I got my third Toyota used in a private sale. That guy bought another Toyota to replace it.

I had an Aerostar for a little over 2 years. It not the most expensive vehicle to purchase that I've ever owned but its lifecycle cost was far and away the worst I've ever dealt with. It was unavailable for use 45 days or more while I owned it. The dealer servcie was almost as bad as the treatment I got from Ford HQ.

Buy a Ford, if you like, Chevy, whatever. We don't care. Just don't go whining about imports in the import groups. We're happy with our cars. Some of us are really happy with our cars because we've had horrible experiences with other makes of car.

[newsgroups trimmed]
Reply to
dh

"Mike Hunter"

General Motors' fortunes continued on a reverse gear in December, taking sales down 10.2 percent year-on-year. Toyota saw revenues from US operations growing 8.2 percent. Likewise, rivals Ford and DaimlerChrysler weren't better off either, seeing December sales decline 8.7 percent and 2 percent respectively.

On comparing annual revenues, both the US leaders GM and Ford were seen down

4.4 percent and 4.7 percent respectively. Chrysler was the only US car maker to have reported 4.5 percent higher full year sales. Toyota, Nissan and Honda also reported annual sales rising 9.7 percent, 9.2 percent and 4.9 percent respectively.

When comparing the groups, the Asian car makers had collectively 36.5 percent of the US car market, while the share of US car makers declined to

57 percent.

Last month, Toyota had announced it would build more than 9 million vehicles in 2006 following growing global demand. It also plans to increase production capacity by 10 percent in 2006, taking output to a level that will make it bigger than the current giant GM.

Reply to
Herb Ludwig

and how many have you sat in on?

Reply to
why, me

You forgot to say in my opinion, since the millions of the folks buying those millions of GM vehicles today disagree with your assesment. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You had problem with your GM vehicle therefore all GM vehicles are bad, right? LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

So, with all those sales, how's Ford doing?

's Debt Is Lowered Two More StepsBy MICHELINE MAYNARDPublished: January 6, 2006DEARBORN, Mich., Jan. 5 - Even before Ford Motor introduces the turnaroundplan it is calling The Way Forward, Standard & Poor's clearly thinks that itmay not be.

S.& P. put Ford's debt rating two notches further into junk on Thursday, less than a month after a similar move at General Motors.

I'll leave GM's prospects to your imagination.

Reply to
DH

The point was those CV hold up better than ANY of the FWD vehicles tested for use in sever Taxi service, foreign or domestic. Any vehicle on the market today can easily run to 200K trouble free, given minimal maintenance. I own a half dozen old cars that are in great condition with anywhere for

110K to 300K on the clock.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Hum Bullshit!

Currently Daimler Chrysler assembles all of their Dodge RAM trucks in Mexico. The so called new "Hemi" engine is also assembled in Mexico...

Would you care to check your facts and maybe restate your position?

Reply to
351CJ

You forgot to say in my opinion, since both GM and Ford sell millions more of their vehicles annually in the US than any foreign manufacture. You are entitled to your opinion, but obviously your opinion is that of a minority.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter