What is your Prius millage?

Actually, Hachi is noting another _advantage_ of the Prius. On topic to me. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Not all to that degree. Sure I've seen idiots behind the wheel of just about every marque, but the four or five I mentioned in this thread earlierr make up the VAST majority.

Reply to
witfal

. . .

. . .

Because we are both racing to the gas pump and we are letting you win . . . again and again and again. If you don't like our speed, call 911:

911: "What is the nature of your emergency, Sir?" You: "Help, help, a Prius driver is causing a traffic problem?" 911: "What are they doing? Sir" You: "They are driving holding up traffic in the right hand lane!" 911: "How slow are they going sir?" You: "At least 5 mph under the speed limit!! Please arrest them!" 911: "We will sir! But we need you to help us catch them with our helocopter. Follow them and so we can find them, What is your name and car?" (Oh please, please, please make that 911 call!!!)

You poor little helpless, helpless. You must be the one and only driver in the USA who doesn't know about changing lanes and passing. Good thing you've never seen a moving van on the highway. But help is on the way.

Take your cell phone and call "911" and report us! Yes, sick the cops on us! That'll learn us.

Just in case you didn't get that number, enter 911 and press 'Talk'.

Bob Wilson

52.3 MPG for 50,000+ miles
Reply to
Bob & Holly Wilson

Happens all the time. It's not a Prius thing.

If you go looking for a specific instance, you'll find it. How's this: go looking for Buick drivers doing the same thing, then go complain in the Buick newsgroup.

The driver was probably waiting for a right turn arrow. Too many people are too scared to drive. They don't know how the lights work.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

True, though the drivers of the P-cars are getting to be the majority.

For some reason, we just don't have that many 'round here.

No arrow at that light. Just the typical intersection, with no traffic approaching. Rather than not knowing how traffic signals work, the driver was just exhibiting the timidity of the unskilled, seasoned with an unhealthy (for others) dose of paranoia.

Reply to
witfal

Off topic to the original post - So how fast have you driven a Prius?? Not that I think Prius owners are slowpokes. Its just I hear alot of the owners write about MPG and not really much about MPH

Reply to
EdV

The point of a car is to get from point A to point B efficiently. There is more to life than having a car that can go way over the speed limit.

However, the governor on the Prius limits its speed to 99 mph.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Didn't Al Gore's kid get clocked at over 100 MPH?

I have had mine up over 90 briefly. At that speed I wanted it to be slower.... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

We don't have a lot of freeways here. It is OUT OF MY WAY to take the highway, so I stick to the two lanes. This is where I run into the k00ks going under the speed limit. Getting stuck behind some dweeb in a Prius trying to hit the advertised 60MPG by doing 30 in a 50 Mph zone on twisty windy backroads is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASS!

Get the picture now?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Re: What is your Prius millage? Group: alt.autos.toyota Date: Fri, Apr 11, 2008, 10:40pm (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@all4.me (witfal) On 2008-04-11 22:11:14 -0700, "Tomes" said: Two in one day is unusual for me to personally observe. I can't help but think of how many more are happening at a given time. OK, let's go through this again. This is the driver, not the car. This happens with drivers of all car types. Not all to that degree. Sure I've seen idiots behind the wheel of just about every marque, but the four or five I mentioned in this thread earlierr make up the VAST majority.

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Yeah, but for some reason it got stuck to the wrong message.

This newsreader does that sometimes. I haven't figured out how yet. What I think happened was I had the response window opened and then clicked another message in the main application and it appened it to the wrong message...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I bought a new Jetta in '85 and it was Tardisized, too. The trunk especially was enormous!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I prefer four or more lanes so I can ride in the right hand lane and follow existing slow traffic. But I also like two lanes, especially on Saturday morning when many working pickup trucks are out with a load of hay or cattle or going to town. Sunday's are also good for the same reason. Pickup trucks with dents and a bit of mud, working vehicles. I just follow them at a safe distance and leave enough space for passers.

So what is the posted minimum speed?

Perhaps not the one a spoiled, impatient, whiner would want. No doubt you generally drive well over 10 mph over the speed limit unless you think the cops aren't around. You like a curvey road to feel the "Gs," the exhiliration and avoid the speed traps.

It isn't just a Prius, any slow pokey van or pickup truck means you have to deal with 'traffic', the very reason you decided to avoid the well patrolled freeway. If there were a USNET group for "slow vans and farmer's pickups," you would be there in an instant with your cry-baby lament.

Tell you what, why don't you just tailgate the Prius and flash your lights. Yes, even touch your horn from time to time. It always works with me as I slow down even more . . . slower and slower and slower. Then for good measure, you can roar around them and slam on your brakes. The Prius driver will then call 911 with:

911: "What is the nature of your emergency?"

Prius: "My name is . . . and a car followed me flashing their lights and beeping their horn. They just passed me and slammed on their brakes. I think they are trying to get me to stop and they are obviously angry. Their license number is . . . and we are on . . . "

Nothing like a road rage complaint to get a patrol car dispatched. Yes my poor spoiled child, you are in for a little traffic court and special attention. Your favorite two-lanes will be more heavily patrolled and with luck, you too will enjoy visiting traffic court, again.

Get the picture?

Oh and one more caution. Prius owners are not pacifists and some of us look forward to dealing with loud-mouth, bullies.

Bob Wilson

Reply to
Bob & Holly Wilson

No doubt he has alot of experience with people who object to his sucky prius driving.. And he responds by driving worse...

I guess being a pacifist would not be a logical tact if you go around baiting people on the roadways..? My experience is if you look for a fight, you'll no doubt find some other idiot who is as equally willing.. Let us know how that works out for ya..?

CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Sounds like one of the elitist pricks driving in the bay area. "By God, I'm saving the environment and you will too, whether you like it or not."

Reply to
witfal

Dude, you're expressing your own road rage with that asinine behavior.

If you're in a left lane and someone wants to pass you, move to the right. That's your moral, social, and legal obligation.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Pot, kettle, black.

If one is to allow another to pass slowing is the only sure thing one can do.

Don't complain about another driving slower than one wishes unless one is willing to deliver with a pass. A while back at night in my truck a Mercedes was on my ass at 35 MPH on a 2 lane road posted 35 MPH. They complained with headlights and horn but didn't have the balls to pass until I had finally slowed to 15 MPH. Then again they were too close to pass properly. All the while we didn't see another car.

Reply to
David Kelly

Nothing was said about being in a left lane here......

Reply to
Tomes

So do I so I can ride in the middle lane, and let the fools who drive 45 stay on the right, and the idiots who drive 90 stay on the left. But we don't have a lot of roads like that around here; none, really. Only when I go to Hartford do I get to drive the way I like.

Thank you! Nothing I like better on a Sunday morning when the temperature is above 70 degrees than to rip the roof off the Supra and go out for a little ride with the wind in what's left of my hair and wind it out a little. Very exhilerating, especially when you have a 'sprited' car and know how to drive it. Same goes for the Scion, but the roof doesn't pop off of that one.

Generally the minimum speed limit is one that is not impeding the normal flow of traffic. It's in the Driver's License manual in most states.

You know, there are times I don't particulalry like going the speed limit or above, but if there's someone that wants to go the speed limit, I generally speed up until we get to a place where the person can pass me. That's generally called Courtesy. Then there are times I drive over the speed limit, but I don't push the person in front of me out of the way, especially if they are driving the speed limit. If they're driving 20 MPH under the limit I make exceptions to that. There's a reason we have buses...

And as far as G's, yeah, hitting the corners is good! You should try it sometime! Or, perhaps, not...

Route 47 in Western Mass must have been designed by someone who worked as a race track designer. The curves are all banked properly, and probably banked more than they should be. In the sections posted 45 MPH, it's a joy to drive, even if you are going 50. Even the cops know this.

I don't 'avoid the freeway', it's out of my way.

Me too. I like to test the brakes for morons like this. Especially when I'm driving the '89 Subaru. Go ahead and hit me, you dumb bastard...

Only if they were being an asshole about pushing their 'right' to drive as slow as they want. Other than that I just pass them and leave them in the dust.

You know what the cops do with a call like that? Absolutely nothing. They figure you either have something against the person, or there's a reason why the person behind you is acting like that. A State Cop friend of mine told me he tells people with calls like this, "Then either drive the speed limit or pull over."

Doesn't happen...

LOL! Sorry, Bob, I'm not a loud-mouthed bully. I'm usually concentrating on driving, getting to where I'm going, and then on to the next. My job entails a lot of driving. I spend 3-6 hours a day driving, usually trying to keep a scheduled appointment. And I leave with plenty of time to spare.

Did I tell you the time I almost got nailed by a Ford F-350? He had to go around another car and got pushed into my lane. He could have waited, I guess.

See, someone in a Prius pulled out in front of him in a 55 MPH zone on one of those two-lanes we've been talking about. Well, didn't really "pull out in front of him", because the person had PLENTY of time to get up to the posted speed. But, using Priusfoot (thanks again, Tomes!) she decided it would be better to put on her flashers and pull over. But I guess she didn't want to get the car dirty, cause she didn't pull over *quite* enough to let the truck pass. Why she didn't just step on the accelerator and get up to speed is beyond me. I guess she was just content going 20 MPH under the speed limit to try and eek every last MPG out of her car.

There's a reason we have buses...

Reply to
hachiroku

You guys missed the point of the post. We're talking twisty two-lanes where there may not be a lot of opportunity to pass, and when there is, generally there's a car coming the other direction.