Power Window Problem

Yesterday, the driver's power window on my 2000 Camry LE closed partially, then stopped. I couldn't move it in either direction.

Trying again a few minutes later, I got it to open wider, but it then got stuck there.

Later still, I was able to close it completely.

Since it works intermittently, it's apparently a loose electrical connection somewhere. I don't have great mechanical skills. Is this likely to be something easy that I should attempt to fix myself (if so, how) or should I take it to my mechanic?

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Sounds like it could be same problem I asked about with my 1987 Camry. It seems probable that there is a broken wire in the harness between the drivers door and car body. The break is in the wire...so you won't be able to see it. No one replied with suggestions on how to repair. Meanwhile, To get it to work (when it won't move), I keep my finger on the switch (up or down) and s imultaneously open the door till the break in the wire makes contact.

Reply to
Marty009

Yes, almost certainly eiither broken or loose.

I'll keep your suggestion for opening it in mind, but I'm trying to remember not to open the window(actually, I have it locked now) until I next bring it in for service.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup
Reply to
Ken Blake

sounds like a bad power window motor

Reply to
toyotawiz

Hmmmm...you could trace the wire down, then disassemble the harness, replace the wire and reassemble the harness, or

you could trace the wire down to a pointin side the car, take one of those

3M quick taps and a suitable length of wire, tap the new wire onto the old wire inside the car, string the wire through the door and use another quick tap just before the point where the wire enters the connector. That's all assuming the crimp inside the connector is not the offending part.
Reply to
HachiRoku

Its probably easiest to replace the motor and or the regulator. I'd do them both since you'll have the door apart to do it. The factory Toyota parts will be expensive (over $300) but I've found the whole assembly in aftermarket on eBay for under $100. (I've replaced the motor and regulator on 3 doors now. Just waiting for door #4 to go on my '92 Camry LE.)

-JCM900

Reply to
JCM900

Your actual problem is the window motor. Since Toyota changed to the scissors gear type regulator, the motors have been doing what you describe when they fail. The part is aprox. $250. You can get it without the regulator.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish