Timing Belt Replacement

Hmmmm...if I were comparing him with a grocer, I'd say he had his finger on the scale...

Reply to
Hachiroku

WRT GM vehicles, there are no systemic problems associated with the problems silicates are meant to address.

GO-5 is also known for jelling issues.

You haven't experienced the crusty crap accumulating on the water box where the upper radiator hose attaches to the engine on any of your 2.7s?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

It is possible to satisfy coolant needs with 3 or 4 different coolants, but an ESO can't necessarily cover his ass that way...

When one considers what the individual manufactures do and don't want in their coolant chemistry, it defies basic logic that there is such a thing as an "all makes, all models" coolant.

The consumer is just going to have to learn; either learn the coolant requirements on their own or learn to engage someone who has learned the coolant requirements. (same applies to motor oil, transmission fluids and gear oil) If they decide that laziness is preferable, then they have no one to blame when their cooling system fails and the $$$ fly out of their wallets. It's not 1970 anymore, you can't service every vehicle from one 55 gallon drum.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Not just doing the job over, having to replace an entire cooling system or an engine because the proper fluids weren't used.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I have one 2.7 and one 3.2. But the crusty accumulation in the outlet housing (around the bleeder valve) of the 2.7 is due to a bad design of the bleeder valve - it is a metal seat molded into the plastic housing. The repeated heating and cooling (and possible overly-aggressive tightening of the bleeder valve by certain people) breaks the bond between the metal seat and the plastic causing it to weep coolant, and in some cases to come completely out of the housing. Has nothing to do with what brand or type of coolant is used.

I haven't experienced the jelling issues with G-05 and wasn't aware that there were any. Are there some?

Bill Putney

It sounds like you run an honest shop!

Reply to
Ray O

If you look at the ingredients on the Preston All-Makes, it looks like Dexcool (including the problematic fast-acting rust inhibitors 2EHA acid that ruined plastic gaskets on some GM cars). Japanese manufacturers don't seem to want 2EHA in their coolants. That's why I don't think it's really "All-Makes".

However, Peak Global at local NAPA may be a better alternative in case people don't want OEM. I'd say go with Toyota Red with distilled water every 2 years instead of the Toyota Pink every 5, which showed a higher corrosion rate than the Red.

Reply to
johngdole

Where are these ingredients listed?

Bill Putney

Back of the bottle, listed under "Active ingredients". Or you can search the MSDS sheets available from all antifreeze manufacturers. See that 2EHA acid? Yuck!

So besides Toyota Red (I wouldn't use Toyota Pink), Peak Global looks like a good alternative:

Prestone All-Makes MSDS ingredients list:
Ethylene Glycol 107-21-1 80-95 None Established-OSHA PEL (aerosol) 100 mg/m3 Ceiling ACGIH TLV Diethylene Glycol 111-46-6 0-5 None Established OSHA PEL, ACGIH TLV Non-Hazardous Ingredients >1% Water 7732-18-5

2-Ethyl Hexanoic Acid, Sodium Salt 19766-89-3 Neodacanoic Acid, Sodium Salt 31548-27-3

Reply to
johngdole