91 Toyota 4wd Dome Light

Dome light won't come on... replaced bulb. Looked on fuse panel under hood to see if there was a fuse for it. I was in a hurry and didn't look real close. But I didn't see a fuse for the dome light.

Dome light sure somes in handy, so I'd like to fix it. Will appreciate feedback.

Thanks NJ

Reply to
NJ

Check to see if power at the dome fitting. If there is your door switch may be faulty. press it a few times and jiggle it to see if it comes right. Dome lights are usually negitive switched and the door switch contacts may be sticky.

Reply to
Scotty

It's usually on a fuse in the cab fuse block, and it's often doubled up with a few other things like the clock or cigarette lighter.

Grab an old-fashioned test light and check all the fuses, they have a test cavity on top where you can poke the end of the element and it goes fast. First one that only lights up on one end is the culprit.

Remember, lower-amperage ATO blade fuses can also fail from a crack across the fusible element or at the ends where the element is spot-welded to the terminal pin, and they do not look blown if you pull and inspect visually. This happens often enough to mention, it's bitten me twice over the years.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Bruce:

You mention a cab fuse block... I'velooked but can't find any other fuses but the ones under the hood.. Is there a fuse block inside the cab...If so, where is it located..

Thanks for the input..

NJ

Reply to
NJ

Read The (Friendly) Manual. ;-) It's in the glovebox - or at least, it's supposed to be. The fuse block location varies by year and model, and trying to memorize them all is pointless.

The cab fuse block is usually hidden behind an easily removable trim panel on the bottom lip of the dashboard, often on the driver's side, or sometimes on the 'kick panel' in front of the doors on either side. The panel hiding the fuse block is usually marked with small raised letters FUSE PANEL. And you usually don't need tools to get inside, the covers snap off.

Just go look again, and this time try a little harder... ;-P

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Ok.. found the fuse and it was blown.. the fuse box is underthe hood btw..

Found a bad connection on the cd/radio fixed that and now all is good...

Thanks for the feedback.

NJ

Reply to
NJ

You're welcome. (I coulda swore those years had a second fuse block inside for the little stuff inside... ) ;-)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman