first impression, test drove 2005 Tacoma 4x4

It was a 4 liter, V-6, TRD package, extra cab with aluminum wheels. While the truck looks great and has everything I wanted (including outside temp reading) it really fealt a little bit heavy/under-powered. Sticker price was $28k.

Granted, I'm now driving a 99 Silverado 5.3 liter 4x4, but heck, it's a heavier truck. I'd expect a smaller truck to zip around just the same.

4 liters seems a bit small for the now bigger Tacoma.

It just didn't seem to jump between stop signs, and it fealt like i was driving a tank almost.

On the highway it did better, but sheesh.

Anyone else test drive them yet? I'm going to wait and see what the car/truck mags say when they test drive their first 05 Tacomas.

chris

I had the chance to test drive one (Prerunner with #2TRD) yesterday while my '04 (same type) was being serviced. Here's my initial impressions.

Definitely larger inside and out. The extra space inside was welcome but I'm undecided about the outside appearance. The older style appears more agile to me.

Obviously more power from the larger V6 but nothing that will throw your head back. I didn't like the low pitch hum from the engine during acceleration. The engine compartment seems well layed out with the oil filter surprisingly uyp top.

Gas mileage is improved despite the larger engine according to the window sticker. Based on experience with my '04, I would have to see to believe it. Toyota seems to take a politician's approach to making mileage claims. They may not be lying but they ain't telling all the truth either.

Ride quality improved considerably, at least on straight highway stretches. I didn't get a chance to put it through some tight turns, etc. So, enough said.

Improved interior with more room side to side and front to back. The seats were more comfortable with side and adjustable lumbar support. The upholstery seems more durable with the choice of fabrics. The '04 shifter (automatic) looks like a toy compared to the improved '05 shifter. Everything looks more up to date including the sound system and climate controls. I liked the darker vinyl on the dash and just below the side windows.

I was really surprised to see the composite bed construction. It remains to be seen how well the plastic bed holds up but the concept should spell the end to those horrible spray-on bedliners. Good to see the increased number of tie-downs including those on the bed floor. The side storage compartments were cool even though I don't know what they could be used for. Guess what, a 110V outlet in the back that you can switch on and off from the cab. Nice idea!

Styling? Well, it's a truck. So, no awards in this department. I was told though that the sport edition has a hood scoop (functional?)

One new feature that I was especially glad to see but at the same time disappointed with how it functioned was with the extra side doors. They provided access to the rear area well enough but the build lacked a solid feel. The extra doors bounced or moved significantly when the forward doors were closed. I suspect Toyota will have to make some adjustments to their design in the near future.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Reply to
Rock

I was really hoping that the increased size would make it something for me to seriously consider. I went in the other day to test drive one but I found that I still had a problem getting my 6'2" frame inside the cab comfortably. Even after adjusting the seat all the way back and tilting the steering wheel all the way up, I still had trouble getting in comfortably. I found that the bottom of the steering wheel rubbed my right leg just above the knee when I tried to get in. Same thing when trying to exit. That really is aggravating to me and makes me have to contort my body in funny ways just to get in and out. Plus, the top of the door frame hits my head. I already have to contort and bend up my frame to get in and out of my '86 4Runner so I don't want the same thing happening to me in a new vehicle.

I can enter and exit a new 4Runner because that steering wheel tilts AND telescopes enough to allow my legs to get in comfortably. However, the sunroof comes down too far and I can't stand having the headliner rubbing against my hair or cap.

Tundra has enough room for me but not really fond of it yet. Guess I'll hold on to the 4Runner another year and wait for the new improved Tundra to get built.

Reply to
Toy_Man67

Test drove a 2wd v6. Like the power and handling just fine. Certainly seems quieter and smoother than my 00 prerunner.

I'm 6' 2" also and didn't have any problems getting in or out, or with headroom.. I guess there are different types of 6' 2" guys.

I'm not real thrilled with the center section of the dash, with the stereo in it. Looks to me like a wallmart getto blaster. I could live with it, but I don't like it.

Now, the thing that totally turned me off to the truck was the cloth patch they put on the arm rest on the door. What the heck were they thinking? In my truck, that thing is going to get nasty quick. I'm looking for a truck, not a limo. Yeah, it can be cleaned regularly, but why put it there is the first place? The whole damn door is vynal, except for that stinking decorative patch of cloth, sheesh.

On the positive side, I checked out a v6 tundra and liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

bb

Reply to
bb

Same observation here. They darkened the vinyl on top of the door panel, which in my opinion was a good idea to cut down on visible smudges but why the cloth patch on the arm rest? It won't take long to mess up.

"Now, the thing that totally turned me off to the truck was the cloth patch they put on the arm rest on the door. What the heck were they thinking? In my truck, that thing is going to get nasty quick. I'm looking for a truck, not a limo. Yeah, it can be cleaned regularly, but why put it there is the first place? The whole damn door is vynal, except for that stinking decorative patch of cloth, sheesh."

Reply to
Rock

Come on, the thing has 245 HP and 283 ft/lbs of torque! It's several hundred pounds heavier than the '04s but it can't be "underpowered" with those specs. I don't know what sort of roads you test drove it on, but 1st gear in Toyota 4x4s has traditionally been a granny for potential offroad use. Don't expect them to leap off the line like a car or big V8 American automatic. What really counts is the torque when you're underway, not the initial gearing.

I regret that they made the Tacomas bigger and wider since I find it a liability in city and narrow trail driving. But I'm glad Toyota hasn't sacrified gas mileage for power like so many American tanks.

JT

Reply to
J. Tyler

Check out a stock GMC Canyon(IIRC) - it's not as well built as the Toyota, but a stripped model with a CD player, the off-road package, and the bigger engine is about $22-23K if you special-order it. GM has a $3000 or so rebate going on right now, so it's a lot less in the end than a $28K Tacoma. Note - the was with manual transmission and transfer case - which some of the other 4*4s don't offer.

Or just get something used.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

"There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey." -- John Ruskin: English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819-1900)

Reply to
TOM

True, but $8000 buys a lot of repairs.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Part of the $8000 will be in lost resale value. Check any used, same year and type Chevy against the same Toyota and notice the resale of the Toyota will usually be higher. So, you can put a price on quality, reliability and performance. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Can't argue with that! :>))

I have one vehicle; my 1988 Toyota pickup (bought new). If it needs repair, I miss work unless I can get a ride from someone.

I'd like a vehicle that doesn't need repairs and would still save me the $8,000... :>))

Reply to
TOM

I had an 88 toy pickup that i bought new. It was great for the money and almost never broke down, but when it did it was stupid things , like a short in the main power wire to the fuse block. C'mon toyota you could do better than that. Then the clutch actuating arm bent . You heard right, apparantly the slave cylinder was strong enough to bend and mangle steel. Screw power pull, I'm going with Toyota.

Other than those two issues it was a great little car with a frame that they called a truck. Almost a truck. Call it a truck-ett. Or truckish.I would, in retrospect , buy another. MLM

Reply to
JohnQ.Public

Mine has around 177,000 miles on it and runs great. It has the 22R and a four-speed transmission. I had to have the front (timing cover) seal replaced and a sleeve put on the damper pully (it had a groove that allowed oil to coat the whole engine compartment) at around 90,000 miles. At 130,000 miles, it needed a head gasket (bad head casting), so had the timing chain replaced at the same time. In 16 years, I don't figure that's too bad.

I've had people ask me what kind of gas mileage I get. All I can tell them is that when it was less than three years old it got about 25 MPG driving to work and about 27 MPG on the highway. I haven't checked it since then. I discovered that I had to fill the tank every two weeks or so, whether I wrote down the mileage and figured the MPG, or just filled it and drove it, so, for the past thirteen years, that's what I've done... :>))

Reply to
TOM

Um... Used Toyota Landcruiser about 20 years old?

:)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

If I could afford it, that's what I'd have, or a 1985, or so, 4Runner. Alas, with my $800.00/month child support, I have to keep the pickup running. The "child" I'm supporting is going to Northern Colorado University (a freshman), so I have at least four more years to pay. Then my pickup will be 20 years old and I hope I can retire it... :>))

Reply to
TOM

I test drove the 05 Tacoma (double, 6-speed manual) the other day. First some background: I've driven a 4Runner for 15 years and it's due to be retired.

I loved the Tacoma. Ergonomics & comfort were perfect for me. Visibility perfect. Ride perfect. Power was more than enough. Very quiet.

My only worry was this: whenever I shifted gear, despite my foot being off the gas pedal, the engine revs would shoot up momentarily. It wasn't because the engine was cold, because I'd been driving for twenty minutes already. Has anyone else noticed this??

Reply to
Ian

The new 'Fourwheeler' came up with the new Tacoma as a runner-up to the Dodge Pickup in their recent tests.

The testers liked the Tacoma a lot but didn't like the very low seat coupled with the much longer hood (with scoop). They said the visibility was a bit compromised with the low seat and longer hood, especially for off-roading.

Jerry S. Denver, Colorado

Reply to
Climb14er

You forgot to mention that that Dodge was a Ram Power Wagon and not the Dakota, which cost about $10K more than the Taco.

Reply to
doubleq