How to replace the antenna mast for 98 4Runner?

What is the fastest/easiest way to do this? What tools do I need?

TIA

Reply to
Jack

I have changed two for my 93 4Runner and one for my parents Camary. The procedure is most likely the same for the 98? Anyone else please correct me if I'm wrong. If the mast/cable inside the motor didnt brake then just unscrew the top cap, turn on the radio and the cable should feed itself out. To replace must get a friend to help. Turn radio on. Position new Mast/cable I believe with the cogged end facing the rear of the car. Obviously must mesh with motor's gears to feed down. Turn off radio to start anntenna motor, feed cable into motor. If the cable is not feeding in, flip it around 180 degrees. If the mast cable broke, then most likely part the cable is still in the motor(this is what usually happens). You will have disconnect the battery and remove the anntenna motor from the car. Open up side plate of motor and remove any broken pieces of mast cable. You can put some more grease in if needed. Reassemble motor and mount. Feed new cable as described above. I replace mine every 40-50K preventivly. ALot easier and faster than tearing the motor out. They're not that expensive.

Reply to
John

Part is like $32-36 for mast. Some owner are fed line that entire antenna must be replaced at a tune,of $200!

Reply to
Wolfgang

Is this at the Autozone or something? The dealership wants like $65.00 for it.

Reply to
Jack

Reply to
John

Try some of the online mail order OEM dealers like Jay Marks, Romania, Connecilli, Russell --- go to google and search for Toyota discount parts. I've paid $28-32 for OEM part. They have been psoted several times on this news group.

Reply to
Wolfgang