78 ASI Riviera

I'm about to buy my first bus. I want to get a nice one that would take me cross-country and would be my main vehicle thereafter. I don't want to go wrong the first time since I am not that familiar with aircooled mechanics (though I hope to become!).

Right now I'm looking at a '78 ASI Riviera with 2.0L fuel injected engine. Any thoughts about this as a choice? A few questions:

1) Is it a bad idea that my first bus be fuel injected? Are these systems very difficult to learn/ mantain?

2) ASI Riviera: How does the quality of the interior parts and camping gear compare to Westfalia? Are ASI parts harder/ more expensive to get?

Hope to hear thoughts as I'm finding it hard to make up my mind the more buses I look at.

Reply to
axolx

Braukuche

Watch what you hope for. If you buy an old VW you will have to become very familiar with aircooled mechanics. I would suggest starting simple and pick up a '68 through '71 Bay window Bus with the upright 1600 engine. Far easier and far cheaper to work on for the novice mechanic. You can always sell it down the line for a type 4 equipped Bus or simply put a larger engine in your existing Bus. As for campign set ups, I have always preferred the Westy set up and Bay window Westys are easy to find and cheap: check out

for prices. Good hunting!

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche