Engine lacks power-what should I check

I have a SP 1600 with a 30 PICT-2 carb. In 4th gear it seems I can't get past 55 MPH. What things should I check?

My 77 Bug has a stock FI 1600 DP engine and I can easily cruise 60-65 mph.

-- Mel P.

77 Std FI Bug & 70 Ghia Cabrio. (near completion)

PARTS FOR SALE:

Mel P.

Check that the timing *really* does advance properly. Have someone step on the gas pedal and see if the throttle opens all the way.

Could be fuel starvation too- clogged tank screen, or tank not venting.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Check the parking brake is off! Seriously, rear brakes dragging could be a possibility. Is the throttle cable moving the full length? Mine got caught in a spark plug cable once.

--Steve

Reply to
tunafish