Proper prep for new header?

Just got an Empi header and single quiet muffler for Herman.

What's the proper prep for the system prior to putting it on? Should all the shipping paint be stripped to bare, or should I just paint over that with hi-heat paint?

Larry

Reply to
Larry St. Regis

If you got the time and don't mind doing a little grunt work, stripping it down will add alot more life to the heat paint you apply. About a year before I got the ceramic coated header I sandblasted what I could off the the old painted one and them applied the heat paint. it held up pretty well (still looked ok whe I came off for the new one) and that was just with some run of the mil sraypaint from either an auto parts or hardware store (can't remeber). When I got that painted one new I just scuffed and shot it and it did not hold well at all, I was constantly going over it again and again to keep it good looking. Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

Thanks, Mark. I'm in no hurry to install, so I think I'll strip it all the way down.

Larry

Reply to
Larry St. Regis

The easiest way to strip the old paint is to run th eengine for a day or two with the new header on.

Yes the old paint has to come off, it's nothing more than cheap storage paint to prevent surface rust from forming.

What you use to coat the system with afterwards, is up to you.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Coat the _inside_ of the new header, too. Very important.

Reply to
jjs