How do I take the bottom seat out?

i was wondering if you can take out the bottom part of the front seat (where u sit your butt at) if that comes out from the bottom seat bracket. is there a way to take the seat out? because im tryin to put in my new carpet. thanks

Reply to
69vwdude

You dont take the bottom of the seat out, you take the whole seat out. Just pull the lever up on the seat so that you can move it and push the seat forwards as far as you can.. it should slide right off the front of the seat runners. Thats assuming you have a 69 beetle, and its the same as my 68 :) Look under the seat while sliding it forwards to make sure theres nothing on the seat runners to stop it sliding off, and that theres nothing else connecting the seat to the runner (there may be a spring? or so I seem to remember reading somewhere). If the seats havent been moved for years they may be very stiff, mine were the first time I took them out and I had to hold a bit of wood across the back of them and hit it with a hammer to get them loose.

Reply to
Adam

Same thing that Adam said, except that there is a flat spring-type lever at the front of the right seat track on most newer Beetles and Supers (both my '69 standard and '71 Super had them). I'll see if I can find a picture to post on the internet to show you where.

Yes, the whole seat comes out as a unit. Also, there is usually a big coil spring somewhere underneath attempting to hold it back. It is pretty easy to find and remove once you have moved the seat all the way forward.

Yeah, here's a picture. See the area circled in red? You have to push down on this spring release while sliding the seat forward.

Malcolm

Malcom, Is this release also on 67 bugs. While trying to get my new motor in (health problems slowing me down) I need to remove battery and repair the rear pan. Need to get into the right side of the car, but after the years of sitting, the right door lock has frozen up. Figured I would have to remove the door panel, but was not sure how to do it with out destroying it. Now I can just pull out both seats (the winder is open...*8-}...) and get full access to the panel from the drivers door. Thank you so much. This is gonna make this job much easier.

Anyone in the Seattle area ahve time to help me pull the old motor and put in the new? Having trouble getting the top drivers nut undone. Thought I would ask.....

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik