How to "fill" holes in deck of a 1967 doublecab?

Hi all,

I've got a 1967 Doublecab that has surface rust starting to form in the bed part.

After doing some research it seems that a coat of Eastwood Encapulator might not be such a bad idea. One question though. All the beechwood strips are long time ago gone, and some of the little fasteners are gone as well, leaving some of holes in the deck open. I can put all the encapsulator I want on there, but those holes are still open.

Has anyone else dealt with these holes themselves? I'm not in a position to do a restore job, but think its time I take some preventative measures against rust.

Suggestions?

Robert

Reply to
Robert Marshall

Put a mushroom head bolt (carriage bolt? coach bolt?) in the hole, coated with a generous blob of your sealant of choice and with a big washer under it. Fix it with a nut from below. The little hump won't matter much, and it'll last much better than sheetmetal glued in place or something. I wouldn't weld the holes shut, you (or the next owner) might want to replace the wood strips someday.

Airhowlingly yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

Excellent idea!! So simple I should have come up with that without asking the group.

One follow-up I do have to ask though. How do I get to the underside to be able to put the nut on the bottom of the carriage bolt? That is, without pulling either the engine or the gas tank? Is it that easy to get to from directly underneath the body?

Robert

Reply to
Robert Marshall

This is for actual crewcab owners to answer, not for theorists like myself.

Airhowlingly yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer