I'm getting Alzheimers real bad

..........I wanted to swap the front beams today between my '70 bug and my '77 bug. Just as in the past, the one in the '70 dropped right out without any problems. So then I drained and removed the gas tank on the '77, popped loose the passenger side tie rod, disconnected the brake lines, steering column, speedo cable and damper shock and then removed the four bolts attaching the beam to the framehead. So I'm all ready again right? Well, I pulled the top two bolts from the apron to the beam and started trying to pull it loose enough to drop down to the ground like it's supposed to. Like it always has many times over the years. I don't need no stinkin shop manual! Well, it was a nice day and I was outside doing all of this in the driveway and it started getting a little dark as evening approached. And the damn thing wouldn't come loose enough to drop down. I started using a pry bar and getting underneath to kick back the lower tube with my feet and I started cursing up a storm because the sun was going down on me. After a while of this, I was beside myself with anger and frustration and just went inside to eat supper. To hell with that #$@^&*$+^%$ POS !!!

........So here's the kicker. As a last resort, while eating, I actually started reading my orange Bentley and discovered that there's a pair of braces between the bumper mount part of the apron and the front of the top tube that captures the tube so that you must cut them away to lower the beam assembly. It says that this is necessary for all bugs with energy absorbing bumpers starting in year model '74. Whew. Thankfully, I didn't start persuading it with my 5 lb hammer before giving up for the evening.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

A while ago I lurked across this message on how to circumvent those things:

Never done it, but it sure sounds like a clever method.. Remco

Reply to
Remco

.............I don't run bumpers on my '77. Thanks for the tip but I'm just going to cut those braces off tomorrow morning and not worry about them again. I think that they'd bend and ruin the beam in a frontal collision anyway. It would be better to just replace the front apron, trunk lid and fenders after a collision I think.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Suspect you are right. After a front collision, probably a bunch of stuff is toast anyway.

The above tip wasn't my idea, though. I read about it and, when I got around to taking my body off the frame, was curious what was exactly meant and how much play would be introduced. Taking those bolts off gave a lot more room so it should work just fine.

Reply to
Remco