ignition/electrical problem

I try and turn my '73 super over and nothing. Not a thing. Dash and headlights are still strong (new battery about a month ago).

I had a tune up about 90 miles ago. 60 miles ago my condenser died and fried one of my points (nice tune up eh?).

Is there an easy way to troubleshoot if the problem is the coil, the distributor or something else (please don't let it be in the actual ignition switch...).

TIA, Winthorp '73 Super

Reply to
Louis Winthorp

Check out this site..... should get you going.

Mac

(Thanks, Mac, for the site plug...)

If you get **nothing**, not even a click from starter solenoid, then it must be related to the solenoid circuit.

Quick test: Under the back seat (left side), look for a Red/Blk wire spliced to a Red wire (plastic splice). Jumper this connection to battery + post (shift in Neutral!). If the engine now cranks, the ignition switch is most likely culprit. If still no crank, check the push-on connector on the starter solenoid.

If the symptoms you have were different, post back.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Not even the starter rotating the engine's crankshaft?

Sounds like a problem I've been having. I (probably?) need to install a starter relay, cause just not enough 'juice' is getting to my solenoid from my starter switch. Sometimes. :-( Or just rewire the whole thing, which is NOT gonna happen!

John Kuthe...

Reply to
John Kuthe

Reply to
Ilambert

If it's "nothing" you should be looking at the starter circuit, not the ignition.

Check to see whether power is getting to the solenoid, and whether the battery clamps are actually making good contact with the posts. If the battery is new, there is a good chance that the clamps are tightened against themselves and sitting high on the tapered battery posts. Spread the clamps and slip them down before tightening. NEVER pound on them, you'll damage the battery.

-

Jim Adney

It just POPED into my mind. Did you leave the ignition key on for awhile without the motor running just before all this started? Say like to play the radio or something? Doing that can burn the points, fry the condenser, rotor and coil.

Troy74baja

Reply to
Tow-Driver

It won't hurt the rotor, but I agree with everything else.

[There's no spark when the engine is just sitting still like this.] -

Jim Adney

As someone else said, the starter...

Could be caused by excessive crap build-up at the brushes.

Repair procedure remove starter the first time and then remove the end cover, blow out the crap and give it a nice coat of WD40 or something similar. You might have to hit the commutator with a bit of wet and dry sandpaper if it has a lot of deposits or arcing. Three out of four time you don't need to replace the brushes, just clean it up.

By the third time you do it with a 6 volt starter used on 12 volts you will know it's been three years, and you won't even have to pull out the starter.....

Peter