It's a sad day, my '72 Super is dead :(

Bugs used to have the bad habit to somewhat burn-up themself. Mine just got ruined last night by a fire to the wharehouse where it was stored for the winter time.

I went there and there are not even a vague sillouette of the Beetle to be seen among the still fuming debrits.

A good friend of mine lost his mint, late Vanagon, also stored there. Actually, the place was filled with VR of all size, boats, sport, antique and luxury cars...

I hope the insurrances won't give me hassle. The car was valued at

12000$ CDN (about 9800$ USD)

Complete details about the resto can still be found there :

Be sure to watch the slide show!

I had to talk aout this. Best regards,

Reply to
Eric Desrochers

I can not imagine how sad it must be to loss a car in that conditions. I believe that you will build a better one.

Joao

Joao Eliseu

Be sure to watch the slide show!> I had to talk aout this. Best regards, Very sorry to hear about your car, Eric. It was beautiful. I hope the insurance company treats you right.

Reply to
Scott H

Hi Eric Sorry to hear about your bug - Bob was beautiful. Clearly a great job.

Don't let it discourage you. Hope you'll find Bob2 soon. Regards, Remco

Reply to
Remco

Thanks all for the support.

I went back in daytime and found what's left of the car. We had to dig a little, it was under the collapsed corrugated iron roof. Obviously, nothing usefull survived. We took some pictures.

I tried to get a keepsake part from the car. The only part barely accessible was the glove compartment's door, but the thing wouldn't come off of the car. Solid stuff!

We also found my friend's Vanagon.

According to various reports, the firefighter had a hard time. It was very cold that night, minus 15 F, and the water supply was lacking. They didn't know from the start that numerous vehicules, mostly VR, were in there and wondered what the hell was burning so hot in this wharehouse! There surely was small explosions here and there.

I hope my T1 block at least put out a great light show hahaha!

As for new project, I'm not sure I want to go thru another complete resto. The last one nearly sent me into a depression, not counting debt! I may use the insurrance money to buy something mostly finished. So far, I may go for another Beetle, some Westfalia or maybe another long time dream, namely, a street Dune Buggy.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Eric Desrochers

How about a hotrod ACVW kit car?

Reply to
jjs

Damn Eric. Sorry to hear about this. I hope the insurance comes thru so you can get another one going. She sure was purty.

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik