Just Watched VW Make Evening News in Malaysia

It's 10:30 pm here in sunny Singapore, and the evening news program on RTM1 from Kuala Lumpur just signed off with a full 2 minutes on the Puebla cessation of Beetle production. Lotsa good footage which I'm sure will be seen the world over - lotsa new yellow bugs - a pretty blue one - a car park full of 'em - is that a white convertible there in front? - streets full of green taxis - and the de rigeur volcano in the background to prove it's really real (ray-al?).

Y'know, for a country that spouts so much anti-western sentiment and seeming support for muslim extremist countries, Malaysia sure is far more international in their outlook than anybody here in Singapore. When I want to see even-handed reporting of middle east political issues, it's Radio-Television Malaysia I switch on. Funny, that!

Tom Take the covers off to send email

Reply to
Oldbie

from Kuala Lumpur just

Lotsa good footage

blue one - a car park

green taxis - and the de

support for muslim

than anybody here in

issues, it's

They had a 10-minute program on the news in China too! Even though few cars were sold there, they still loved it :-)

Reply to
Howard Rose

They have, or had, a factory there somewhere for making parts - a lot of our lousy electrical parts all over Asia come from China. I've had points that lasted a few hundred miles, and new capacitors that just didn't work, and crap like that over the years. Really hone's up the troubleshooting skills, but who needs it.

I think Their QC's a bit better now, but I still refuse to waste my time putting in China made ignition parts. Sorry Howard, but I'm afraid that's life.

Tom Take the covers off to send email

Reply to
Oldbie

How about the Chinese (Chang Jiang)copy of the Russian (Ural) copy of the old BMW r71 motorcycle? :)

still in primer

RTM1 from Kuala Lumpur just

production. Lotsa good footage

pretty blue one - a car park

of green taxis - and the de

seeming support for muslim

outlook than anybody here in

political issues, it's

Reply to
Marc H.Popek

...and in the UK too! This was posted by someone on a UK Forum. Download "luke2"

Howard Rose