leaking carb

Hi,

Had a laying around 34 pict 3 carb (made in japan) which looked a bit filfy but not rusty and not frozen up. So while waiting for my weber

44 IDF I decided to give it a try and rebuild it. Went throught it and found it fairly clean inside. Put it on the car, fired right up. after a minute or so of runing (car was warmed up already) cut out and died. Probably bad cutoff soleniod. Either way, once the engine shut off i notied two nasty gas leaks off the carb. Looked like from it was coming from both sides of the bottom shaft. Could I have messed something up? or is this carb is too worn out and ready for the trash bin?

Thanks, Anton

Reply to
anton

is the shaft flopping around? probably the float is not stopping the incoming fuel.

Reply to
ITMFA

no shaft seems to be alright. even if float didn't stop the fuel, it shouldn't pour out like that, just flood, right?

Anton

Reply to
anton

I had a similar problem once; turned out that the needle valve on the carb top (the fuel shut off valve) was only finger tight. Tightened it up, problem gone. Worth checking.

Reply to
Dangermouse

cool, still some hope there :)

Thanks, Anton