New Baja Project

Greetings one and all!

It's been a while since I posted here. But now I've acquired a new project. It's a '69 Baja. Rough would be too kind a description of it. No engine or trans, rust in the front quarter panels (I'll be cutting these off for a 1 piece front end), front fire wall and running board mounts (Heater channels are OK) Pan doesn't have any major rust.

Since this is my first Baja project, I'll be looking for advice from the experienced (Shaggie?), and encouragement to keep this thing going. It needs a lot of work, but I think I can put together a nice desert runner. I'll have some pictures available soon.

(Oh yeah! I picked it up for a whopping 50 bucks.)

Reply to
Alan Nelson

sweet...havew fun....right now you are at the *perfect* stage to go with a bus tranny...and at that point oversized boxed trailing arms fit best ...and ya know....a TYPE 4 ENGINE (oops cqaps) would fit very well to that bus tranny and give lotsa usable baja torque,,,,'

...just some ideas...

,,,Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Brought it home. Turns out it's a 1970. Needs mucho work. I think it'll be a while before I start thinking about engine and trans.

Pics here:

Wish me luck. I'll need it! :o(

Reply to
Alan Nelson

I like your estimated completion date..... thought is was a mistype for a second then laughed my ass off. The only reason I bought this 75' bug I'm almost done Baja ing is because there was very little rust but the front was "tweaked" and the hood didn't come close to lining up. You do have your work cut out for you with that one! Good Luck!

Mac

Reply to
Mac

Wow, they removed the front brakes? Be careful! I recommend Krylon. ;-)

Reply to
Shaggie

Looks like a body off is in order to get theose heater channels replaced! and the floor pans also!

Reply to
dragenwagen

I guess.....its a baja...personally I wouldn't bother. I'd weld in new metal strips where the running boards bolted and otherwise re-inforce any other weak looking spoots on the channels and go with it. ::shrug::...baja's are meant to be strong, not pretty...no sense making a lot of work where you don't need to. But if you want the practice for a future street car....more power to ya. Replacement floor pans would be a good thing though....they are just too cheap to bother fabbing...

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Yep!

I came to that conclusion, too. Be ready for a flood of questions about your experience. I've already bookmarked your site for reference.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

No problem. Actually the heater channels aren't that hard to do. It is however in the begining overpowering. it looks like a lot of work. but once you get going and understand what needs to be done, it was actually kind of fun *in a wierd kind of way* but then again you have to like the idea of fabrication and making things work or fit. Because when you are done.... you get that awesome feeling of satisfaction that you have BRAND NEW heater channels and floors and the accomplishment that goes with doing the work yourself.... not to mention that you saved a bug and alot of $$$

besides that what ever it turns out like, its better than rusted out heater channels.

Reply to
dragenwagen

Reply to
ilambert