OT - father/son project building a shop

My dad came by yesterday and helped me get started on framing up a

24X30 shop I'm building in the back yard. Man, he's a hard worker! I had trouble keeping up with him. Here's the work in progress and I'll update the page as I get more done to the shop. Gonna be cool when this is finished.
Shag

looking good :)

Reply to
Jan

Reply to
one out of many daves

the shop looks good, Travis.... Your dad can't deny you, you look like him....hehe

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Man, I wish we could use a floating slab. It would make a new garage affordable.

Wish ya luck. At least you will have something more comfortable than a Dog House for those, ah, difficult times. Eh?

Reply to
jjs

you guys required to use a turndown? (due to frostline?)

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

nevermind, shag's is a turn down....i didn't look at all the pics....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

It's a "monolithic slab." 4 inches thick in the center and about 12 inches thick around the edges. I got some more done on it today. Finished the last wall and framed it for a 36" door, and got the OSB sheathing stuff up on about 70% of one wall. It's gonna be 24X30 with

10' walls. Using trusses with 4/12 span so it will be 14' high in the center at the highest point. It feels pretty big when I stand in it right now. Gonna box off a 12X12 section of it in the back corner and insulate that and set it up for a home office kind of thing. That's the eventual plan, but first gotta just get the walls, roof, and doors in. Man, that's hard work. "My desk job is showing." *groan* :-) Two more inspections to go. Trusses get delivered this coming up Friday and I plan on trying to get them in place and the sheathing up there and at least tar paper on the roof. Oh, no, not going to put a lift in there. :-) Just added a couple of pictures. Here's the last one:
Shag

A.K.A "turndown slab".....you don't expect concrete workers to remember, nor have to say, "monolithic" do ya? LOL

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Yeah, it was pretty funny when the mexican guy who did the slab tried to say that word. heh heh

Reply to
Shag

most concrete workers around here are also hispanic... lots of these jobsites i work at don't have english speaking individuals in the homes until the trim carpenters come in...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Looking very good, tall! Are you going to stick the kids up there? :-]

Just a question: How are you going to secure the lower parts of the walls against water intrusion?

Up here the cement would be a part of the lower wall, a bit like if you turned your slab upside down. Then the woodwork/panelling would go outside and down a tad to drain off water.

But then again we have a different climate..

J.

Reply to
Berg

Notice the bottom one-foot high section of wood that's colored differently? That's pressure treated plywood and that's about all it takes around here at most. I only did that because the "all-knowing" inspector told me I needed to do that. I also extended it one inch below the top level of the slab to keep any water from splashing up under the base plate of the wall, but even that was a little over- kill. Of course I made sure that was ok with the "all-knowing" inspector before I did that. I've learned a few things already working on this project and I think the two most important are:

1- My dad is still a tough old dude and could very likely kick my ass. (Once a Marine, always a Marine I guess.) 2- Never get any other building/project that I work on inspected again because it's all a stupid racket to drain as much $ as possible out of you. I spent about $700 on permits/inspections before I drove the very first nail on this project. One way or another that will NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN.
Reply to
Shag

your locality doesn't require a treated bottom plate? Here we have to have treated to concrete *and* it has to be properly flashed...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I was wondering about that bottom plate too. In my NC county, any wood in contact with the concrete floor slab must be pressure treated.

Freddy

Reply to
Freddy Badgett

Oh, yeah, the bottom plate is treated wood. I left out that detail. :-)

Reply to
Shag

If you look closely I think you can tell the bottom plate is treated wood in this pic:

Shag

Reply to
Kirk

Shag's treated bottom plate is good to go. It should last a very long time.

My garage/shed is over fifty years-old and on a slab (not dropped/wrapped, whatever y'all call it there), and the bottom plate is plain old pine and rotting away around the rusting bolts. Man, that thing has got to go, but - get this - I can't just have it torn down (the Amish will do it for nothing) - the slab has to go, too! Seems a guy can't even leave the remains of a slab that's not code.

-- jjs in MinneSnowta

Reply to
jjs

I feel better now- I could not tell from that pic when you first posted it. The A-hole inspectors here would have you screaming in about 5 seconds if it were plain old fir.

Freddy (who's shop is also 24 x 30)

Reply to
Freddy Badgett