OT I wish Speedy Jim was into Jeeps.

*sniffle* Electrical woes... :-(

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

think basic! you can do it! what electrical is on a Jeep that isn't on a Bug? not much...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Was stat ze best you could do Travis?? Come on, give uz ze problem, we might be able to hilfe ze out...

Norwegian and still proud..

J.

Reply to
BergRace

.....................HANDS OFF !...............he's ours.

:-)

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Probably H2O on the wires :)

Reply to
Steve

I think I saw in your pictures, a 304cid AMC engine, if I'm right, you have many Ford electrics, alternator, starter, and a GM steering column, if automatic, will probably be a Chrysler 904 trans, Dana or Spicer axles, what I mean is, you will be learning several vehicle lines to own a Jeep, no real big deal. Any way, just what ails the CJ?? Douglas

Reply to
Douglas

Maybe a "Thing" would fit you better

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

...a winch...cause them jeeps get stuck worse 'n the bugs. ;-)

...Garteh

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 20:41:59 -0700, "Douglas" shared the following:

The alternator appears to be undercharging or not charging at all... I have a dash voltmeter that had been reading around 14-14.5 volts but a few days ago I noticed it was sitting right at 12 volts. After driving it like this a couple of days I could tell the battery was getting low because of how slowly the engine would turn over when I was starting it. I took it to AutoZone and they checked the battery and said it was ok, then checked the alternator and said it was dead. I bought another alternator for it. Got home and went to disconnect the wires from the old alternator when I found one of them completely broken. I thought that was cool and that I'd just splice it and fix it....but no... No change after splicing that wire. So I figured maybe I'd somehow burned up my old alternator running it with that wire disconnected... So I removed the old alternator and put in the new one. Now there were only two wires on the back of the alternator. One is a thick red wire which runs to the positive terminal of the battery and the other is a thin green wire (the one that was broken before) that runs to the voltage regulator. I wonder if there should be a third one? Anyway, I got out my Haynes manual and followed their directions. I got to the point where it said "If no fault is found, disconnect the voltage regulator wires and connect one lead of an ohmmeter to the F terminal and the other to a good ground... The ohmmeter should indicate 4-250 ohms. Less than 4 homs indicates a short.....etc, etc. OK, I measured exactly 0 ohms, same reading I get if I short the ohmmeter leads together so it looks like I have a short. The manual says "If the reading is not within the specs, the alternator should be replaced or overhauled..." Well, I just did replace it and would like to believe that it's not faulty. I won't rule that out but... I checked all of the surrounding wiring and it looks um...intact. It's been hacked into a few times but I resoldered one connection and rewrapped a couple of connections and checked for 0 ohms across several lengths of it and it looks ok. Any ideas? Thank you.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

useless, tactless, most unhelpful post of the day:

GET A BAJA..... LOL...sorry...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Travis - what you wrote seems to imply that there is a voltage regulator outside of the alternator. Is that right? If it has an internal regulator, then only two wires are required because the regulator is built into the alternator. Or am I all wet?

Anywho, because I can't be there harassing you and handing over beers while you work, be sure, absolutely sure your alternator is properly grounded. Put a wire from the body to a solid ground elsewhere. I had exactly that problem in my ACVW because my alternator mount was painted black-crinkle. Grounding it fixed everything.

Reply to
jjs

Who is the Chris Perdue dude? A New Guy? :) (Hi, Chris!)

Reply to
jjs

yeah a newbie....hello John...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 11:06:43 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.xxx (jjs) shared the following:

Yes. The voltage regulator is external. Bolted to the inside of the passenger front fender.

So if it has an external regulator it needs a third wire?

Hmm.....

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Are you _sure_ the alterantor isn't internally regulated? Most are.

Reply to
jjs

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 11:28:40 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.xxx (jjs) shared the following:

Positive. Just bought the regulator for it, swapped it out with the old one, problem fixed. :-D

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 13:58:52 -0500, travis shared the following:

Just so you don't think I'm drunk (already)... ;-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Very cool! I like the separate regulator best. Now have a beer or two on me.

Reply to
jjs

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 13:37:10 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.xxx (jjs) shared the following:

OK, how about a plate of hot italian sausage chunks to go with it?

:-D

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 16:16:04 -0500, travis shared the following:

Oops. Wrong link. *sigh* And I haven't even opened my first ice-cold Colt-45... :-/