Performance engine sugestions

I remember them all. Hope they are doing well.:o)

Bill Berckman

67 Beetle Pictures at
VW/Porsche Family Reunion Show 2003 Pictures
Bill Berckman

MOFOCO is the company which charged me a few hundred dollars more than they quoted to spend a couple of weeks longer than they quoted to install a new engine and carb in to my Squareback (a PO ripped out the FI, don't blame me) which only lasted 2 weeks before the improperly installed carb flaked out and ruined the engine. They're also the company which refused to do anything about the situation until I somehow managed to get the engine to WI from SC, which is where I had it repaired (which is to say, the engine and carbs replaced) by a mechanic I could trust. Mofo Co seems to me one of the most honestly named companies I've ever encountered.

Reply to
mez

From my experience, it's an excellent deal - for the mechanics who wind up replacing the engines. While my Squareback was in SC getting repaired (it took quite some time, as the mechanic's daughter died before he got to it and he made the mistake of not checking the compression before he started repairs - something he always does except this once when the engine was only two weeks old), I bought a Westy in WI and contacted a nearby mechanic. Upon mentioning that I would never take another vehicle to Mofoco, they mentioned that they currently had two Mofoco'd VWs in for repair and see Mofoco'd vehicles regularly. Mofoco seems to be a source of much work for other area VW shops.

Reply to
mez

Great answer, now I see what kind of people they are. It seems like I'll have to build it myself, try to get (the $$$) a RAT, or see if John Connolly forgives my ignorance and agrees to build me the thing.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

no need to be forgiven, we were all there once (even me).

you ARE the best one to build it. Will you save any $? Heck no, but you KNOW what went into it, and if you ever have a problem, you'll be a whole lot more educated in being able to figure it out.

Our problem with turn-keys is I have no clue how to ship it overseas. If you wanted one, I'll do it, but YOU have to make shipping arrangements. We are primarily a parts store, shipping engine parts (a whole engine may be in 4 boxes for you to assemble) overseas is no problem, but weight/size restrictions put complete engines out of anything I have a clue about. (and don't want to :-) )

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

PS: Steve Hollingsworth (mentioned earlier) is an exceptional mechanic and engine builder, you won't go wrong there either. If for some reason I couldn't build my own, there are less then 10 builders in the Country I'd trust, and he's one of them.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

.........................I think that it's already been asked by someone else in this thread and I'd like to know as well. Does Steve Hollingsworth still build engines for street use with semi-hemi heads?

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I tried to contact Steve (I even asked about the Hemis) a couple of days ago through email. No answer. His website is pretty new, so maybe he's not used to answer regulary yet.

I have Hemi heads on my dodge truck, and it feels great, but we are not talking about a 6000lb red steel gas guzzler, are we? are they any good for a VW? Are there any significant advantages (reliability, durability?).

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Thanks John, If steve doesn't answer soon, I think I'll build it myself. Maybe it would be better like that. But there are some things I lack here, for example, how can I dynamically balance (or even statically) without complex, expensive equipement? I just don't plan on spending more on tools than on the engine.

Is there a way to do this with basic (and some not so basic) tools?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

For the rest of us, it would be very cool to have one list of names, addresses. I'll list three and y'all can fill in the rest.

Alphabetically:

John Connolly Seve Hollingsworth (what's his address?) Jake Raby

The rest?

-- John Stupid

Reply to
jjs

Hemi and Semi Hemi are apples and oranges.

The Semi Hemis are a design generally credited to the late Gene Berg and are not true hemispherical combustion chambers at all. They not only lack the correct shape but don't have the spark plug located in the dead center. They also don't make power worth a turd covered farthing.

They are a cheap and easy way to lower the compression by enlarging the combustion chamber with a quick machine operation. THAT'S IT.

Lower compression may mean a long lived engine as it also lowers the power produced. This is a major component of Berg's philosophy, long life above all else (ironic in that he himself passed away relatively young)

Most people today don't subscribe to the Semi Hemis as they require tons of ignition timing (lead) and can be a bear to tune the carb (jet) correctly. Soggy engine response is the usual problem.

Run high(er) compression, use quality parts and the correct cam and you'll produce plenty of power with a decent engine life. But think twice if anyone tries to push you into Semi Hemis---don't take just my opinion on these, ask around.

-ANT

Stop that. To reply change my ISP to @hotmail.com

"Karls Vladimir Peña"

Hollingsworth

Reply to
ANT

Leave dynamical balancing for the machine shop to do.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

RAMVA 3, Semi hemis, mofoco and gex together... 0

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Karls, I just called Steve and he said he hasn't seen your note. Might have got lost in the spam or something. Anyway, in case you are still interested I am CCing this post to Steve ( snipped-for-privacy@compuserve.com) and if you could resend your questions he should get right back to you.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Steve's V.W. Performance

3863 N 38th Ave Phoenix, AZ 85019-3705 (602) 442-8997
Max Welton

He certainly has and I believe still does for certain applications. Best way to find out is just give him a call.

He'll want to talk to you about the intended application and then he will make recommendations. If you tell him you'd rather not use them, he's more than happy to work with you.

Steve built a near-stock 1600 for me in 1999 and put SHs on it. In the 50k I had that engine, I went through 2 sets of those heads as they both developed cracks between the valve-seats. At that point I asked him to prep me a set of CB 044s. Steve said "No problem" and thats what I ran the

02 Berg Cruise with.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

throw in a 009 just to be sure and your are done :)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

It's really funny... two years ago, when I first got into the idea of getting a VW, everyone I asked here (mainly racers) told me they loved the

009... but now...everyone seems to hate it.
Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

It works well from mid to high rpm range, and it is more or less fully adjustable. It just doesn't offer the smooth operation of the vacuum assisted distributor.

BUT, in general, they don't work optimally right out of the box. They *require* tweaking. To operate to their fullest potential, in YOUR engine. Most people just take it out of the box it was shipped in and install it. Then they wonder why they have flat spots, weird uneven idle, and funky acceleration or overheating issues. And lack of power. And and and :)

For a stock or near stock engine (stock carburator) the stock distributor really works best. The advance curve on that can be made to match that of a 009 if you want the "magical accereleration power" of the 009.... Once again it requires some more work than just soaking the damn thing with WD40. (Which by the way is not a bad idea)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson