Performance engine sugestions

Jake Raby did someting miraculous with the dizzy on the engine he built for me. It advances beautifully, retards properly. Nonetheless, I will be switching to a Mallory unit next year and will explore his dizzy to find out just how the heck he did it. Different springs? Modified swing? Dunno!

Reply to
jjs

Why are you changing it for a Mallory? Do you have a type 1 or type 4?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Hard to tell even if you disect it on your kitchen table :) You'd have to have an unmodified one next to it to see the differences, and some pretty accurate measuring tools.

What's so cool about the Mallory that you can't have with the 009? Sounds to me you have a good combo there now, don't mess with it. Just my opinion.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Hey Max, this is wild! You answered a long-standing question of mine... what ever happened to Steve? My friends and I, while in high school in the early 80s, used to bug him all the time about our aircooled questions, occasionally having him do some of work for us (as we could afford). We used to call him for tech support while in the middle of a job at home, pulling a trans or replacing a bearing. He was pretty cool about helping us out (I *think* he was cool about it... he never seemed to get too annoyed and he certainly didn't tell us to go away!).

One of those friends of mine actually ended up working for him for a couple of years. He turned out to be a good VW mechanic too, and I had him build me a cheap, rebuilt engine when I was in college. I still have that motor, sitting as a longblock in my shed since a head stud is pulling out of the case. Other than that, I'm sure it'll still fire right up.

After many years, I drove by Steve's old shop on Stone Ave in SJ and it's now part of a construction company's facility. Wow... wondered what prompted him to move to AZ.

Someone mentioned that he doesn't need to advertise due to word of mouth. That was true back in 1982 too.

BTW, Max, thanks for posting those pics of him/his shop. That confirmed that it was the same guy (and same name of his business, too!).

-Rob

Max Welt> Steve's V.W. Performance

Reply to
Rob J

Type 1. I want to run a hotter spark and I like Mallory's greater distance between the dizzy's contacts. Am I headed in a bad direction?

Reply to
jjs

I answered the first question above, but do think it won't make a difference? Advice is welcome. As to the good combo - sure, but eventually I want more power. I may have to go to an entirely different engine. Hungry, hungry for power.

Reply to
jjs

why not try an MSD system?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Is this for that big engine you bought ? More power for that ?

Randy

RSMEINER

I'm not saying a new ignition system is going to make a big difference, but yes, I do want more power, whether from that engine or from another. Life is short. Why not?

Reply to
jjs

The recipe for my next (under construction) engine: new 009 most likely, (because it's cheap and easy to tweak), pointless ignition (to eliminate points float and flutter at high revs), and Crane Cams Hi-6. Plenty of spark, multiple sparks per one combustion cycle up until 3000 rpm, after that one Big Fatty. Programmable rev limiter with 100rpm intervals up to 9900 rpms. I'll be probably setting it near 9000...

Now if only my machinict would get off his lazy ass and get cranking... need my crank back.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I've hit 9000, but not on purpose! What's the sense in reving so high? (I know, More is Better, right?)

Reply to
jjs

Well if it still keeps pulling then why stop prematurely?

:)

we are not talking about your average street engine...

The smaller race versions of the same reach 10k... and generally come "alive" past 4000. Not that they are exceptionally weak below that, the contrast just makes it feel that way.

This will be a semi-race engine, 2007cc, for the street.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I'm not arguing with you at all. I just figured that big mamma motor would have lots of power. I'm all for go fast VW's.

Randy

RSMEINER

Reply to
Ilambert

Mine pulls hard at 4000 and up. I often hit 8000. Due to the gearing, I tend to live between 4-7500 in the twisties. Sure wish I had a five-speed.

Reply to
jjs

I think that is just an indication of people not thinking for themselves. Instead they just go with the crowd. I've never quite understood that.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

His landlord at the time raised the rent through the roof, basically putting it out of reach. That was just about 3 years ago.

If I might ask, who was your friend that worked for Steve in the 80s?

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Reply to
Nor-Cal VW's

Exactly. Just takes some money and busted knuckles to spring for a Berg

5 or a porsche conversion. That's what I've always wanted but I guess I'll have to wait for a few more years. :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson