PO Ignition switch bypass - want to fix!

Hey all,

So the previous owner of my 74 Super installed a switch to run the starter and start the car. So, I put the key in, turn to the right and then hit the switch and the car starts. Well, I want to fix it so the car starts as its creator intended.

Right now, a yellow wire is connected from the positive terminal on the battery to the makeshift switch and a red wire runs from the switch to somewhere (I assume the the solenoid, though the wire attached to the solenoid isn't red)

I'm trying to understand how to remove this switch and get everything hooked up the way it's supposed to. Thanks for any help, it's kind of tricky to explain this weird-ass setup.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn M Hannon

He may have bypassed the Ignition switch because it had failed, a common problem.

On '74 cars, battery power goes INTO the Ignition switch on Red. It comes out Term #50 of the switch on a Wh/Red. This goes into the seat belt interlock relay ('74 only). Comes out of the relay as Red/Blk which goes into the main harness. Under the rear seat, Red/Blk becomes solid Red (plastic splice). This Red then goes to the starter solenoid.

First step would be to find out if there is power on Term #50 (Wh/Red) on the Ignition switch when turned to "Start". Don't just use a voltmeter, run a wire to the solenoid or use a heavy

12V lamp load for testing. If the switch does NOT work, you're faced with an intricate task replacing it.

The interlock relay must be bypassed. Look on my web site for the details of that.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Wow, thanks for the um, Speedy, and detailed response Jim. I'll be checking it out and hopefully fixing it tomorrow.

Thanks aga> >

Reply to
Vaughn M Hannon

So I followed the path as your excellent description detailed it and found the red and black wire lay, disconnected, under the back seat with the tangle of wires that connected the starter button. Everything else seemed in tact so I connected the red and black wire to the wire going to the solenoid and she started right up with the key.

Thanks again for your help.

Vaughn

Vaughn M Hannon