Re: 71 Fastback Transmission Conversion

I've got myself a 1971 Fastback with an automatic transmission in it. My

>donor car is a bug, and i'm looking to take the manual transmisison from >the bug and put it into my car.

Bug trannys are geared lower, so this isn't quite as nice a replacement as it might seem. Depending on what year bug you have it may need a different nose cone, and you need to be careful to get the right nose cone because there are 2 different ones with subtle differences (check your Bentley manual.)

If the nose cone looks about the same, reuse it and just install a type 3 hockey stick (shift rod) or redrill this one to put a dimple on the bottom.

Have you looked to see where you are going to run the clutch cable. The type 3 AT pan didn't come with a clutch cable tube, so you'll need to install one.

You may need a different front rubber mount for the MT. The AT one won't work. Your old AT one is valuable if it is still good.

The hardest part of this is getting the clutch cable tube properly installed.

The biggest gotch'a is mating up the wrong nose cone.

-

Jim Adney

Do you know where I can get ahold of a nose cone, mounts(possibly), and hockey stick?

Reply to
Tyson

NASA, the Hiesenberg Equestrian society and the NHL.

..... What?

Max ;-)

Reply to
Max Welton

I probably have all of these in good used condition, but you would have to study your Bentley manual and figure out what era of tranny you have that you're trying to adapt. They take different nose cones.

-

Jim Adney

hmm-

well the guy i'm getting the bug transmission for doesn't remember what year it came out of, but he does know it was 1968.5 on up (it wasn't a swing axel, it was newer). beyond that we don't know much about it.

would you be able to get me the right nose cone if i took a picture of the front of the transmission and showed it to you? would that be enough for you to tell which one i'd need?

thanks for the help

tyson

Reply to
Tyson

Maybe. I would need to see what the nose cone looked like on the tranny, and what the tranny looked like after the nose cone was removed.

Don't you have a Bentley manual? There's little point in getting into this kind of work without one, and you'll find that you need it over an over again. I can't overemphasize how useful it will be to you.

-

Jim Adney

ok, i will get you the pictures of both the automatic and manual transmissions, both with nose cone on and off

no, i don't... i will get one for my Fastback - but wouldn't i technically need one for the bug that the tranny came out of too? or will the information in my Fastback one be enough?

thanks- tyson

Reply to
Tyson

Buy the Bentley for the car you plan to keep. The info in that manual will guide you thru what you need to know about either transmission.

-

Jim Adney

I got the Bentley manual for the Fastback, but I can't seem to find any reference the transmission nose cone. Any suggestions? What is it that I'm looking for exactly?

Reply to
Tyson

Take off the nose cone and look at the two bearings and shaft end that you see under there. One of those bearings got changed at some point (and I can't find it in the manual right now either.) The later style uses some cast-in portions of the nose cone to press against the face of the outer bearing race to keep it from working it's way outward. The early style has no such structure in the nose cone.

So you're looking to see that both nose cones are made the same way, around where they press against the bearings. In the early version, the nose cone really doesn't come close to the bearings, In the late version it retains one of them.

If you use an early nose cone with a late transmission that bearing could work it's way out of position, which would eventually destroy the transmission.

-

Jim Adney