Re: Putting an engine on it's side and more questions.

> My 1600 is sitting on my garage floor. > I am trying to figure out what is grinding. > The fan rotates freely nothing is binding there, and when I crank over the > engine with a socket (plugs removed), I don't notice anything strange > either. > > It looks like one of the pushrod tubes is leaking oil. In order to take a > closer look at > it I need to put the engine on its side. Can I do this without wrecking > anything (e.g. valve cover) ? > > Also, how do I fix that leak ?

Forget about the pushrod tube leak. If you *must* fix it, wait till the engine is back in. Then you can substitute a collapsible (coaxial) repair tube. More about that if you actually get to that point...

I would make a measurement of the crank endplay while it's out. That may or may not tell you something.

Have you got a spare tranny that you could bolt up in order to crank the engine over? I'm thinking of running the engine on the floor. If not run it, at least do a compression test.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim