Re: Where can I find a spec list of a 1966 VW Beetle?

my '66 doesnt have back up lights...

i think that there was an after market set you could put on and operate them manually from a switch, you just had to make sure you turned off the switch

--

**************************************************************** dragenwagen 1966 Type I - Daily Driver
thanks guys and GREAT group

Reverse lights weren't standard until 67.

There is a book (two volumes actually) that I've been told are about the best year by year map of the changes of the beetle over time.

The full title of the one that discusses the 66 is:

"Volkswagen Beetle, The Car of the Century, Volume Two, 1961-1980"

Yes it's a mouthful. ;) It's quite hard to find, I haven't been able to land a copy of it yet. Volume one covers years 1930 to 1960.

The author is 'J T Garwood'.

If anyone has found a store that has any for sale (used is fine), clue me in too. ;)

Reply to
Seth Graham

What do you want to know? My '66 is almost completely original (right down to the factory supplied spare Bosch sparkplugs), bar a few accessories that were put on when the car was new...

'66s don't have backup lights - mine does, but it's a British aftermarket unit bolted to the bumper...

Do you have any pictures of your car? If so, it's pretty easy for me to tell what is and isn't original :-)

Below are some pictures of my '66. There are slight differences between my car and a US-spec model. My car is RHD, has amber tips on the rear lenses, non-sealed-beam front lights, no have the hazard flasher and has the earlier blade bumpers with small over-riders.

Pictures:

shocks in the pictures are not original, but I have some NOSones to go on soon!) A lot of parts are shared with 1967 models too (wheels, headlight flasher) - the interior is completely 1966 only - "smooth border" seats with central weave pattern, chrome trims though the rectangular-pattern printed door panels. The only repo interior for a '66 is made in the '67 style, which is wrong...

This page on my website may give you some info too:

my website is in my sig - currently being revamped and the newversion will be online in a couple of weeks :-) Any questions, just ask!

Reply to
Howard Rose

RMMW lists them in the catalog (didn't check stock):

you note, it's the one to own. Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

aww man, the pictures dissappeard as I was halfway through looking through them. :(

great looking beetle, what I got to see of it. ;)

Reply to
Seth Graham

neither in stock.

the search continues!

Reply to
Seth Graham

they're back again now!

and I've put a redirect on the original URL :-)

Reply to
Howard Rose

...................Rocky Mountain Motor Works sells them. Both volumes together are about $110 plus shipping.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

"Seth Graham" wrote

According to Glenn Ring over at the STF, Garwood is currently not publishing the books ... but an updated version is in the works.

RMMW is the only place I've ever seen them for sale but I don't know if that's the only place that has sold them. I had intended to buy them for some time now but never got around to it. I sure hope they become available again.

Reply to
Scott H

You might check your transmission. I thought my 63 had the original tranny and it turns to have a 67+ nosecone. So I already have a backup switch.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

That's a good idea and if you have the original tranny I think Wolfsburgwest is selling that backup kit. It a switch that wires to your shifter I believe.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

You can also get the box that attaches to the speedo cable.

Reply to
Howard Rose

True. But then the backup light doesn't come on until you are moving.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton