Replacing flywheel pins w/o engine dimantling

I need to replace my flywheel. The pin holes on the crank and the flywheel are oval.

Can I fixed this w/o disassembling the engine?

If I need a need flywheel , I'll spend the money. But I don't want to take apart the engine right know.

Are there repair kits available?

tia,

Mel P.

70 Ghia 77 Bug
Reply to
Mel P.

if the flywheel and crank are ovaled then the mating surfaces are likely FUBAR as well. Proper repair would be a new crank and flywheel.There are many half assed methods of "fixing" this problem. Some last longer than others. None are a correct repair. If you insist on doing it wrong, you could buy an 8 dowel jig and drill four more holes. Your hand drill will walk some...and the fit of the dowels will not be as tight as they need to be. You can do better by then reaming all 8 holes to 11/32 and installing oversized dowels. Ream the fllywheel and crank as one unit. Reaming to size will leave a much tighter fit than drilling ever will. As added precaution use a quality chromoly gland nut and increase the torque to ~400 ft/lb. DO NOT try and torque that high on anything but a good quality chromoly nut, or you WILL shear it.

Reply to
Gary Tateosian