Average scrap price at the moment?

Hi all,

Anyone know the average scrap price for the Northwest / Lancashire area at the moment?

It might help me decide if I just scrap it for quick cash or look to flog it.

Cheers.

Reply to
Summer Holly Day

dahn sarf it is 240 quid for a complete car, even 265 if you drive it into the yard in some cases.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Bugger me, I've owned a few cars which were worth less than that fully taxed and tested (a while ago though)

Reply to
Newshound

trouble is that every slightly older car is a theft target that is easily cashed in for a decent amount of notes. I preferred it when scrap was 2 quid a ton, everything was left alone.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

True enough. When I took some (legit) copper in the other day, they were turning away a couple of blokes who were trying to scrap a 4x4. So some scrapyards make a check. Still, if they were doing a good job I suppose they would have summoned the Old Bill.

Reply to
Newshound

The better quality places that try to comply with the law do check. The place I use implemented a system a long while back whereby I had to produce my driving licence and a utility bill. They record the reg. number of my vehicle each time along with my name and address on the receipt and the reg number of any scrap vehicle. Unfortunately most dealers are not that careful or fussy.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It wouldn't be that much of a problem for them to video the motor and the faces of those doing the transaction and time stamp it....

Reply to
tony sayer

get an online quote

is money to be made so there are others.

If they aren't an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF) they have to turn cars away. They can still take motorbikes and vehicles over

3,500Kg or more than 9 seats without being an ATF.

Have to be an Authorised Treatment Facility to issue Certificate of Destruction (CoD). It's only those that dealt in large quantity of EOL vehicles that bothered to register and can still deal with polluted vehicle scrap.

4:

------------------------------------------- What to do if you want to scrap your vehicle ? You should take it to an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF) who will make sure that it is dismantled in an environmentally friendly way. The ATF should give you a Certificate of Destruction (CoD). If you do not receive the CoD immediately you must fill in section 9 (V5C3) of the V5C Registration Certificate and send to DVLA. You can get details of your nearest ATF from the Environment Agency. ? If you have broken up the vehicle yourself, you must either tax it or tell us you are keeping it off the public road by making a SORN, until you take it to an ATF or tell us you no longer have it. ? If you have passed the vehicle on to a scrapyard or an insurer to be scrapped, follow the procedures explained in section 9 (V5C3).

-------------------------------- If you take the vehicle to scrap then section 9 - transfer to motor dealer or dismantler etc has to be filled in. You get a CoD. If you break it up yourself then all you have to do is tick the box in section 6 and enter the date.

Once it's been de polluted anyone can still deal in it. But by then its just a shell and glass so unless you take it to them it will cost to have removed as there is so little value left. 300Kg steel at £175/tonne is worth about £50 but they have to make some money to feed the kids, keep the wife in shoes, pay staff, utility bills etc.

Reply to
Peter Hill

£130 here :-(
Reply to
Summer Holly Day

In 2006 I bought a Cavalier 1.8LS with 9 months MOT and 3 months tax for £175. My brother ran it for a few months as a stop gap and then sold it for...........£175!

Reply to
Doctor D

'kin hell. Last time I scrapped one a few years back it was a tenner (and if I took the steel wheels off, as I did , I paid them a tenner!)

Reply to
The Other Mike