Sometimes Fate smiles

. . . and sometimes she doesn't.

In this case, she was in a good mood.

Re-charged the old e-can with new activated charcoal, re-mounted it with new hoses. No problem, I now have the Wonderbus back to its original

1971 CA emissions setup. Hardly a job worth bragging about, but for me, anything that I do that works first time around and doesn't draw blood at least one time is something to feel good about. All I need to do now is get a O2 sensor bunged in for stoich adjusting and she'll be tuned as well as she can be for low emissions.

Also pulled the SVDA dizzie, and installed the Compufire points replacement kit that I bought lo these many months ago from aircooled.net and was GONNA install into the Wonderbus before the old engine converted itself into scrap metal. Kit installed well, and despite the fact that the rotor needs to be modified because it sits too high after the magnet disc is installed, I managed to accomplish that simple task too, without breaking anything, and ended up with a still-running engine. Re-timed it and it all seems to be happy.

These are the good times. I need successes, even small ones, because staring me in the face is pulling my 1984 Wasserboxer engine and re-surfacing the corroded heads to stop the leaks. I am told that if pulling a 1971 Type engine is a "5" on a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of difficulty (where a "1" is getting your socks on, and a "10" is programming a VCR), that pulling a 1984 Vanagon engine is a 6.5 to a 7. Hoses. Damn hoses. They are everywhere. AND there is this creepy toxic "coolant" substance that I am told will drip and drool all over the place.

It could go well, or it could turn ugly. I still have pencils around the house. No telling where one might end up. For you see, Fate could be toying with me right now. She's like that.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

For inspiration :)

I bought a 1992 Peugeot cheap from a friend in need of money about 6 months ago. I found the engine and the transmission had been dissassembled and very porly reassembled.

The car now runs and drives, and I spent less than what I underpaid for the car, but has costed me lots of busted fingers and months of driving my wifes car...

One episode, the one where I found the camshaft pulley had been hammered in instead of bolted on is here:

:)

I am going to drive the car for the first time outside the subdivision I live in tomorrow. Wish me luck...

Reply to
Eduardo K.

The word is "lose" people... not "loose"... the misspelling of "lose" is becoming an epidemic in the last few years... Sigh!

Loose is what happens to your nuts and bolts when you forget to torque them properly. After that, what was once just a loose bolt becomes a bolt that you lose... Hope that clarifies it once and for all... but I doubt it... ;-(

Reply to
Red Bug

Eye dew two. :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

Ich been einer Hamburger to!

J. :O)

Reply to
P.J.Berg

To me (non native english speaker) loose makes much more sense than lose :)

(well, english spelling makes no sense at all)

Will fix. Thanks.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Actually, didn't he literally say "I am a donut."?

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

This might help:

Goose, Noose, Loose, Moose, Papoose, Mongoose, Caboose...

and

Nose, Hose, Rose, Pose, Close, Impose

and then just a couple of words that I can think of that are pronounced the other way...

Lose and Whose

...and that's just the way the English Language works unfortunately...

Oh, did I mention "Choose" and "Chose"? They're just to keep you on your toes. Or should that be "tose"... no, in this case, it is "toes"...

Yes, it's a VERY tough language... It helps to grow up with it, that's for sure.

Reply to
Red Bug

HA! And you guys thought *I* was the only spelling Nazi! Though, don't forget I'm also the grammar Nazi...

You can't use a present tense "is" when talking about the past "in the last few years..."

That should be "the misspelling of "lose" has become an epidemic in the last few years..."

Glad I could help! :)

K. "We're friends. You smile, I smile. You hurt, I hurt. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge.... I'm gonna miss your dumb ass."

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

However, did I necessarily mean to say that the epidemic is currently realized? If not, then "has become" is also inappropriate.

My intention was to say it was getting close to epidemic levels, but not there yet... hence my use of "is becoming"... Quite appropriate for what I was trying to suggest.

If this makes it better:

In the last few years, the frequency of use of the word "loose" in posts on the internet when the writer obviously meant the word "lose" has steadily increased... almost to the level that it could be declared as an epidemic.

Reply to
Red Bug

Though there is a pastry called a "Berliner," no one in Germany thought that he was calling himself one. It is understood that when one identifies oneself as a Berliner, it means a resident of Berlin. Not a "plum jelly donut usually served piping hot on the streets of Berlin during the cold winter days around January 1."

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

I'd rather have a hot, chocolate dipped Belgian waffle with whipped cream on it. Gawd I miss Brussels sometimes. The food & restaurant district was a cool place for exploration too. :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Nope. "is becoming an epidemic in the last few years" still isn't grammatically correct no matter what you mean or how you intended it. There are a million ways to write it, correctly and incorrectly. No matter what you meant, your tenses were still mismatched. Intentions only count when you act on them.

Sig Heil! :)

K. "We're friends. You smile, I smile. You hurt, I hurt. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge.... I'm gonna miss your dumb ass."

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

You misspelled "sieg"

Hope this helps

;)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Vatipaa. Blame Google. I checked with them first.

K. "We're friends. You smile, I smile. You hurt, I hurt. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge.... I'm gonna miss your dumb ass."

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

Or

How's bout them moose goosers Ain't they cloose Out in the boondocks Goosin them moose Some goose the big moose Some goose the tiny But they all goose the moose In the hiney.

Randy

RSMEINER

You could never be a programmer... Those quotation marks...

*shudder* :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

In chile a 'berlin' is a cheap sweet cake filled with cream or jelly. :)

Reply to
Eduardo K.

anyway... being married to Sonia, who is a student of languages, I would say language evolves, and if more people use 'loose' than 'lose' the spelling should be changed...

Reply to
Eduardo K.

That was going to be my line!!

J.