Sometimes Fate smiles

Although ignorance may be a traditional American disease there are several instances on record of it being successfully treated and cured. Fortunately, it is not contagious :-)

Reply to
Bob Hoover

No. I could never be a programmer. Fortunately, the career my future holds only requires me to carry a gun and enjoy the city's stupidity. :) Woot!

K. "We're friends. You smile, I smile. You hurt, I hurt. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge.... I'm gonna miss your dumb ass."

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

The misspelling of lose, is an epidemic lately ..................before, it was merely a sporadic ailment.

If it gets any worse it could become a extinction event.

Just my opinion.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

How ridiculous in this case however... What do we do with the other word "loose" then? Change it to "luce"?

It's not analogous to dropping the "u" in words like "colour" or going with a change in the order of letters such as replacing "centre" with "center"... those changes may happen eventually...

You can't go replacing "lose" with "loose" when there is already a word spelled that way that means something completely different! I suppose since we have words like "booze", we could go with "looze"... ;-)

Reply to
Red Bug

sure you can...haven't you ever taken a bow on the bow of a boat? maybe even had your shoes tied in a bow at that time?

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

My grammar is certainly no better than average, but shouldn't "last" be replaced with "past"? My high school English teacher would have said so. H

Reply to
Hairy

And I have hated the way the word key is used as a pseudo-verb. "This is key" Pure BS. Key is a NOUN, and should have a definite article, e.g. "This is the key...."

Next thing you know, they will do away with Fraktur (The German gothic-style lettering that was used before the war) and the Ess-Sett (Looks sort of like a capital B, but represents two letter s-es together) and even the umlaut over the a, o and u.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
Charles Fregeau

Oh I'm sorry I stole your moment of glory PJ, are you all upset now? Do you need a hug?

:D :D :D

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Enough of the first would result in the latter :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan

I'll bet you keyed in that post with conviction. :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

Yes, I did. To key something is a proper verb. Linking it with is in a sentence like "This is key to etc." is not except for the slick yuppies I have to deal with up here have decided they will use it that way.. It should be "This is THE key to etc."

Just like the affectated names realtors give housing developments to make them sound better. We have one up here known as The Wealshire, which almost everyone I know refers to as The Weaselshire. Just because not everyone lives in a neighborhood in Chicago, doesn't mean we have to come up with a name that is loaded with terminal cuteness to replace them. I used to live in Roseland. That name had a reason for being, in that Roseland was originally settled by the Dutch and was until about 1890 separate from Chicago and they did used to grow roses. Then when it got too urbanized, they moved to South Holland. I've also lived in a subdivision called "Holiday Hills", which was NO holiday, believe me. I lived on Timberline Drive, which had no timber at all, and wasn't a very straight line, either.

I'm just glad that KdF Wagen didn't stick as a moniker for our favorite car. Another example of a 'too cute to survive' name. Some Germans derisively used to call it the "Kutz durch Fenster" Wagen in those days. (That means hurl through the window for all you non-German-speakers. Sorry no umlauts.) Dr Porsche always thought of it as the Volkswagen, no matter what the party hacks wanted to call it. And you thought Germans didn't have a sense of humor

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
Charles Fregeau

Ya both lost me.

Kidd: Your new sig kills me. :)

Reply to
Steve

When people say "This is key", they are using it as an adjective, not a "pseudo-verb". It's entirely acceptable in the same way you can say "This is important", "This is paramount", and so on. What about key decisions? Keep on hating the yuppies, but for different reasons, 'cause they're right about this one.

-Chip

Reply to
Chip Keller

And What if someone "keyed" your car?

that not Acceptable either?

( just askin.........)

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

I really think your post is key to understanding your anger at the use of the English language. Maybe you need to losen up your tie and loose yourself in a bottle of Tequila.

Hey, I had a fraktur once. Okay, I've had a cuple frakturs, but never any clean brakes!

(You have no idea how hard this post was for me to do.) ;)

K.

"We're friends. You smile, I smile. You hurt, I hurt. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge.... I'm gonna miss your dumb ass."

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

..............I've got to remember this post the next time I'm in Central Florida.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Reply to
ilambert

Ah. Words of encouragement!

The way I like my women.

My friend Phan studied it for a while. Said, "Compared to pulling Japanese car engine, this easy."

Is this the right NG for that kind of talk? Take it to alt.poop

Yeah, really. It looks like what was behind the walls in "Brazil."

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot