VW sightings in the movies

Last night I watched Hitchcock's Vertigo (1958). The one where acrophobic Jimmy Stewart follows the mystery lady up the tower of a mission church. Not only are the cars more interesting than the actors in this movie, but it is probably the only movie ever made in which the lead character drives a DeSoto. An automatic, presumably, as I didn't see Stewart shift as he tailed the mystery lady's emerald-green Jag around pre-skyscraper San Francisco. Pre-gridlock SF too--there were actually several parking spaces in front of Stewart's house at the bottom of Russian (?) Hill.

There were a couple of stunning Ovals--they really stuck out because ACVSs weren't at all ubiquitous back then. The real thrill was a brief shot of Stewart's pal Madge driving a Karmann Ghia. Madge is in love with Stewart, who doesn't return her affection because he's in love with the mystery lady. Madge paints a picture of herself gussied up just like the mystery lady to give Stewart a big Hint. But get this...her KG was the *same* emerald green as the mystery lady's Jaguar! Pretty psychologial, huh?

I'm afraid I must have gone to fetch a beer when Hitch made his cameo appearance, because I missed it.

Reply to
cloud8

............It's been many years since I've seen Vertigo. I think that I saw it somewhere on DVD though and now you've got me wanting to see it again.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

"Tim Rogers" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

It's in color, too.

Reply to
cloud8

Jim

Reply to
Jim O'Malley (VW-F-V)

In a recent episode of Monk, the bad guy loaded a body in a super up in a dumptruck and dumped it on the highway. Among the observations Monk made upon seeing the scene was "Air conditioner is off". Didn't get a good enough look at the front of the car to see if it had one.

Reply to
Roger Ivie