Welcome to the dark side... I mean the bright side

Hello!

------

Welcome to the dark side of the force. I sold my soul to the devil and modified my Beetle electrics a bit to make my headlights brighter. My beetle is equipped=20 with original non-H4-headlights and to be honest,=20 they were apalling on their light power. I had already=20 cheked the grounding points and all the contacts=20 in the fuse box area. Hassling with the ground helped=20 a bit, but the lights seemed still quite reddish and honestly they were of no use when dark.

Originally all the current to the headlights flow through the=20 ignition switch, light switch and dimmer relay. Time has apparently left corrosion and dirt inside them resulting to resistance. Opening up and cleaning all three did not=20 sound tempting. Neither investing to new H4 headlight=20 assemblies to make the lights work.

So I went the dark way, and installed 2 relays to control the high and low beams. I did not take anything stock out of the car, just added the relays and some wire. The modification can be returned to stock in 20 seconds. The difference in light power was significant. Now I=20 actually can see the lights on the road when it's dark. ;)

If someone is interested the circuit and procedure, please tell and I can draw some schematics and write down the=20 procedure. Meanwhile one picture of the wiring hassle=20 (there is more hassle there than necessary, because my Beetle also has additional high beams and they needed their wiring also modified to the relays).

Olli Lammi

... If someone is interested the circuit and procedure, please tell and I can draw some schematics and write down the procedure. Meanwhile one picture of the wiring hassle (there is more hassle there than necessary, because my Beetle also has additional high beams and they needed their wiring also modified to the relays).

Juper Wort

Don't know about beging tidy, but check this out. -61 wiring in=20 original shape. There you have room to work.

Olli Lammi