shockers dampers novel idea?

Is it possible to fill the gap between the shocker insert and the tube of the strut with a fluid such as a light oil so as to help cool the inserted shock absorber.There is only an air gap at present which is not a good means of dissipating heat .We get very high temperatures here so any way of tranfering heat is good .Is this a foolish idea or does it have some merit ?

john from downunder

Reply to
John Robertson

Just found out it is done can it be done with Volvo 740 shocks and using what fluid ,an anti corrosive fluid or oil?

Reply to
John Robertson

The only problem is keeping the fluid from draining out the holes in the bottom. I'd just use engine oil, it won't hurt anything or evaporate. A dedicated heat transfer fluid won't transfer heat much better, and would probably be very expensive. That said, unless you're driving very hard over very rough roads, you probably don't have anything to worry about.

Reply to
Mike F

Reply to
John Robertson

I'd use silicone heatsink grease, it's sold for electronics and is a white paste that won't dry out or drip off. I'm not sure how useful this is though, unless you're racing the shocks generally won't overheat.

Reply to
James Sweet