Wheel Debate

From the Volvo FAQ's

Torque Specs on Alloy & Steel Wheels. [Query:] Is there any difference in wheel nut torque specs between steel and alloy wheels? [Response:] There is no difference in the torque requirements for steel or alloy wheels in Volvos. The difference is the studs. The 240s and earlier should be torqued to 85 ft-lbs. The 700/900 should be torqued to 66 ft-lbs, the 850 should be torqued to 81 ft-lbs. [Editor's note: I use anti-seize on each stud to ease nut removal when changing to or from snow tires.] My Question is: For the 700/900 series isn't 66 ft-lbs too little? My mechanic says to go for 85 ft-lbs as he would be worry about road safety at

66 ft-lbs.
Reply to
KLB

Why would it be too little? I've been running 65 ft-lbs for years, never had a problem. It's what was printed on the sticker on the factory rims on mine.

Reply to
James Sweet

I don't know, just trying to clear up the confusion. Thanks for the reply though. Is there any particular reason why it is or should be 66 ft-lbs on the 700/900 series?

Reply to
KLB

It's is a fairly standard torque figure for wheel nuts. The confusion arises because it is quoted as 83 Nm which is 65 lbsft. My caravan has exactly the same wheel nut torque figure. Perhaps they made it with Volvo towing in mind?

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes