2003 Model Jettas and Golfs

About 5000 cars were built in Mexico...I know...it wasn't wide spread production....our Golf shuttle car at work is a 3VW-VIN, and its a 1999

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Should clairify....I meant Jetta sedans

Reply to
Peter Cressman

You'll get no argument from me on that point. I've driven only VWs since 1978. On my 7th now. My last German built VW was a 92 Jetta which was a disaster in terms of reliability. That car left me stranded more times in 4 years than all of the other VWs combined. I bought it because it was the "last of the German Jettas", and was bitterly disappointed.

Since then I've had 4 Mexican assembled Jettas. Combined I haven't had ONE problem that I would blame on "assembly". My 99 (A4) Jetta had a design flaw with the glove box door, which broke repeatedly (the design was changed for the 2000 models). I had the window clips break in my current (02) Jetta. Neither has anything to do with Mexican assembly. I hope they shot the German engineer who thought the plastic window clip part would be "good enough"!

I didn't get burned by the coil problems (since I drive diesels), but once again that was design (or quality control on a 3rd part supplier) and not assembly.

VWs current quality problems all seem to stem from poor engineering, and NOT poor assembly.

Reply to
Al Rudderham

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Interesting...weird that they'd tool up for such a limited run. (Sure it's a lot of shared tooling with the Jetta sedans but the body components would be different.)

Reply to
Matt B.

I think it had something to do with a labor issue in Brazil. The new plant was having some issue with it's employees, and it looked like a lengthly strike loomed, so Mexico began building Golfs...however, the strike was averted and problem solved...most of the 5000 cars were sold internally or made their way to VWC or VWoA, where they were sold to employees or used as company vehicles.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

My '90 Jetta is German, and frankly, drives just as well as a 2003 MexiCAN Jetta. The only thing that I can flaw the Germans for are their headliners...thankfully, I have a new one on the way...but other than that, this car has been bullet-proof....What I find impressive is that even though it has an ancient hydraullically controlled gearbox, it still is able to "adapt" to situations. If I press the accelerator hard enough, she will rev to the redline and shift smoothley...My Carat on the otherhand, didn't.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

I'd bet that a lot more than 5000 cars were built, but that the others were destined for another market. Where do Golfs sold in Mexico get built?

Reply to
Al Rudderham

Bear in mind that the new shape Golf & Jetta 5 is about a year off. I would wait if I were you.

Reply to
Ernest

I suspect it's Brazil (same as US-market ones) because they look just like the US ones (side markers in the front bumper and a US-sized rear license plate opening).

Reply to
Matt B.

Will the A5 Jetta come out at the same time as the A5 Golf? Seems impossible that it wouldn't, but I've seen no mention of the Jetta.

Thanks.

Reply to
LostSoul

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Under it is a styrofoam board. Behind that is the actual roof.

If the headliner is really bad, remove it from the car. Then decide if you want to try to reglue it or maybe just spray-paint the foam board. A totally bare roof (all metal) is an ugly option. A spray-painted foam board might not be bad.

Reply to
Matt B.

If you plan on keeping the car, remove it and take it to a place that recovers them. It's not cheap, but it will be as good as new when you are done.

If you just want to make it work, staples work pretty good. Just make certain they are not too long :)

It doesn't look too good but you can always color them with a crayon or something to blend in with the liner color.

psycho

Reply to
psycho_pastrami

Or use thumbtacks (the kind with a flat head) and get them with black heads. Stick them in there in a symmetrical pattern and they'll look intentional as if they're factory snaps or something.

Reply to
Matt B.

Excellent idea!

psycho