86 Golf Starting Problem

I have an 86 Golf, it will start fine first thing morning, afternoon or evening. But after running for 5-10 minutes or longer, and I shut off the engine, it will not start again, engine will turn over, but will not start, after waiting about 10-20 minutes, it will start just fine. We have replaced the in-tank fuel pump and filter recently thinking thisa might fix the problem, but it did not. Then I found this forum, anybody have a suggestion?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve 86VW Golf

Usually the fuel pressure-regulator is responsible for hot starting. al.

Reply to
al

Have you "tuned" it recently? New plugs, wires, rotor, cap, air filter, etc.? What do the spark plug electrodes look like? black and wet with hard deposits? How well does it run when it is running? Got a repair manual?

Getting a little more technical.................. Did you check the CO either with an exhaust analyzer or dwell meter on the freq valve? Does pressing down on the accelerator pedal help in starting when you are having problems? Did you check the cold start valve operation? Check for any vacuum leaks?

Something is happening like the injectors are leaking and flooding the spark plugs. Spark is not strong enough to fire the plugs. Or the mixture is too lean during the time it is not starting. NEED: spark compression fuel

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1