engine oil light

I own a 2005 Navigator and the dealership told me that I probably need a new motor because my oil was low and did some damage. Unfortunately for me, the oil light never lit. When does the oil light occur in the Navigators?

Reply to
carole

when engine oil pressure is low!

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Likely it comes on when the oil pressure is low. You need to actually look to see if the oil is low. If it was low and did not trigger the light, it would seem very unlikely it damaged your engine in that way.

Find an independent mechanic to confer or deny that diagnosis.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

"Probably" need a new engine, because of "some" damage"? They'd better be a little more specific. Are you experiencing any symptoms? Funny engine noises, etc.?

If the oil never gets low enough for the pick-up to suck air, instead of oil, then you probably don't have damage that would warrant a new engine. And, if the pick-up never sucked air, your oil pressure probably never dropped enough to light the idiot light.

Without any engine-damage symptoms, you surely don't need a new engine.

Reply to
Brian Running